Brakes

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas Brakes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Leo
    Participant

@ldj1002

OK, started brakes on my Allison MGTD today and already a problem. Brake line from front to rear is rusted out. I tried removing what is left and it won’t come out and there isn’t enough room to run another one through the hole with the old one still there. I decided to just run the new one under the floor pan. I made a search about how best way to run it. Not one person said to run it under floor pan. Everybody said underneath it wasn’t protected and would rust out fast. Well only place mine is rusted is inside, all the lines outside are still good, gona replace them anyway. Ever car I ever worked on had brake line underneath. I have my ideas how to run them to protect them from hanging on anything and getting pulled loose. Car will only be used on improved roads so I can’t see a problem running underneath.

In doing my search I read about gravity bleeding. Never heard of that but it sounds good. However, by just eyeballing, the master cylinder is on about the same level as the wheel cylinders. If it is on same level or even a little bit higher, How would gravity let the fluid drain down. Has anyone gravity bled a VW Bug and if so how did it work?

Royal
    Participant

@royal

It’s not a question of the height of the master cylinder.  If the brake fluid reservoir is higher than the brake cylinder bleed valves it’ll work.  I’ve done it.   Gravity bleed:  Works good, but don’t be in a big hurry. 

Leo
    Participant

@ldj1002

Dumb me, I forgot all about the reservoir is several inches higher. Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.