buy MGTD carpet or upholstery shop

Home Forums General Discussion buy MGTD carpet or upholstery shop

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Smithgall
    Participant

@smithgall

i apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.

my question is this: Will MGTD carpet fit this car?

i just bought my first kit car, an allison mgtd. Its not in bad shape but it was built in 1980 and as you may expect the carpet is old, dry rotted in some areas. id like to replace it.

I see MG MAGIC (as well as some other places) has carpet but i assume that’s for  the dimensions of the
    original MG but i don’t know if the Allison is the same so not sure if
    buying MG carpet makes sense. The other alternative is to get a local auto upholstery shop to cut and sew up for me. That sounds expensive.

Thank you in advance for any help you may provide

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

MG Magic sells parts for TD reproductions Mike.

Their carpet sets will likely work. With a major “but.”

The majority of MG Magic’s parts are for Fiberfab cars.

Each kit manufacturer is slightly different. And the floor dimensions may be different.

I recommend you draw the dimensions of your floor and ask MG Magic for the dimensions of their carpet kits.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Smithgall
    Participant

@smithgall

Great idea. Thanks Paul

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

What I did was remove the old ,went to home depot. bought a remnant 30 dollars , traced it with old and installed with screws and carpet tape. Some may remember I put hole in gas tank so buy short screws.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Mike: the answer is NO. Real TD interior stuff will not work in a replica. The floors are very different. The doors are slightly different sizes. The other interior panels are not very close. I know this because I had a Moss kit briefly and made some test fits. Ended up doing everything panel-by panel with marine vinyl and some time and attention.

Hired a dude to make the door panels for $100 each. He did it better than I would have.

Carpet: I bought a roll of marine grade cut pile. Think it was $110 delivered and I still have enough to do three or four more TDs. Black as were the originals. Mostly glued in with 3M upholstery adhesive over some padding on the floor and straight to the ‘glass up in front. 

Holding up well so far.
    Smithgall
    Participant

@smithgall

great ideas guys. If i did cut the carpet myself. how do i bind the edges? Im sure i could figure out how to cut it to the right fit but dont want the ragged edges that i assume will evenutually fray. Any suugestions? Good idea ednova. I would rather farm out the door panels.

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I had the same question . I asked home depot and they said to cut the carpet to the sizes I wanted, bring it back and they would have it bound the cost was small.As it turned out the piece of carpet was bound all the way around and between pushing edges under side panels and trim no raw edges. When I went over the hump by the shifter piece was cut no bound edges.Pass side and driverside each had 1 bound edge. Raw edge went under side panel, bound edge covered raw edge on hump piece.I have been told by many people it looks good.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Mine is unbound (like a real TD ;)). 

Years ago I bound a piece for the back package shelf (different car) using black duct tape. I folded it in thirds lengthwise so the looped edge was on top and the long, sticky-side-up extra third was underneath. Then I hand stitched it with a sail needle and black thread. It still looked pretty good 15 years later when I sold the car.

edsnova2013-09-12 20:54:11

Dennis Brock
    Participant

@dbrock

My wife and I did the carpet on my VWTD. We used the carpet called automotive carpet from EBAY. We bought two yards. We bound the edges with leather from an old coat. My wife had no trouble sewing it with her sewing machine. We cut it in approximately 1 inch strips. It was underlaid with the aluminum backed insulation that was cut aprox 1/2 inch smaller. It is now quieter, cooler and more comfortable. About $30 including the $5 yard sale coat.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Does your wife take in jobs to order dbrock?

Soudns like a niche for a small home business. Clap

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dennis Brock
    Participant

@dbrock

I think that putting up with me and my 2 TDrs is about all she wants to handle. She did make a complete top and side curtains (Different from factory as we didn’t have anything to copy). I made the mechanism using conduit and boat parts. She made a windshield to back tonneau cover for it and a boot cover as well. She made a mini cover and boot for the Ford based one that I have.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.