Cage

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

As some of you may know, I have always wanted to run the local Hillclimb events.
    My only real problem is that because the car is a kit it is required to run a full roll cage.
    As there is not enough room for both me and a cage, I have not pursued it. As I have to remove the fenders and fit them to the new grille contours I have been considering cutting the front fender down
    and fitting an external cage. I believe a removable cage would be race legal. Here’s two photos. One is a sketch of a cage on my car and the other is a photo  of a TD with the fenders trimmed and the running boards removed. Just looking for opinions and/or suggestions. Am I crazy or what?

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Looks very Jeep-like. To what would you be attaching the tubes? And why not just run a triangular cage with a peak behind your head? That could go inside and be detachable: Two posts behind the driver’s seat welded to the frame and a crossmember, then two more aft of those, at the widest points and as far back (inside) the back-of-the seat area as you can get, and one final long bar from the point above the driver down to the passenger footwell. Make some sort of swaged-and-pinned mounting system and you’d be able to snap the whole thing in and out solo, if awkwardly. Should pass inspection, would provide protection and would be much more period (and car) correct.

If you must make something like this monstrosity, the bar along the door should slant downward to match the door contour and allow you to climb in.

As for fenders, I’m a fan of the cycle fender look. You start cutting ’em might as well go the full monty. Plus you’d be able to just remove the stock ones and replace ’em with cycle fenders you make, so if you hate it later you just reverse the process.

Anyway, you decide, I say go for it. REPRESENT!

edsnova2012-09-16 20:02:29

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

This is the event I’m shooting for. The chief safety steward here also builds cages and today I managed to get a phone number from him. One step closer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo5qP0qglPo

edsnova2013-06-23 20:25:45

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Awesome, dude. Right there at 1:21 and again at 2:31 I can see your car, itchin’ to get in on the action.

That looks like a very challenging course as well.

edsnova2013-06-23 20:47:18

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Well, the fabricator stopped by this evening and he had quite a time getting his head around what I wanted to accomplish. He agreed the removable running board modification was a good idea. Two support tubes that would run rearward from the main hoop by my head posed a puzzle. I told him that the cage was the priority and that the fiberglass wasn’t an issue. I will modify the rear body around his metal work when my son stated the obvious. I don’t need rear body panels to run the hillclimb. Just leave the rear covers off when the cage is installed. Now that this step has been accomplished, it’s time to remove the fenders and put some color on them. Anybody for VA Beach this year?:D

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

No “rear body panels” for the hill climb? Time to post pics of that, Bill! You talking about the fiberglas pseudo-“gas tank?”

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Bill, I thought that my grandson’s go kart went too fast and suggested he needed a cage.  This is what he came up with:  (Hope you can use some of the ideas.)

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

That’s pretty much the look I was going for, but those carts don’t come big enough.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

Bill they do make one big enough to work,

Giant Motorized Jewel Grocery Store Shopping Cart Buffalo Grove IL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoGTRPqBIDE

(sorry Paul I still can’t get the link to work. something I’m doing wrong? )

thanks Ed ray102013-07-09 16:13:32

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I stand corrected.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.