Oil Dipstick guide detached

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Oil Dipstick guide detached

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ssimgtd
    Participant

@ssimgtd

Have a new development here!!

Went to check the oil in my 2.3 l Pinto engine and both the dipstick and dipstick guide came away in my hand?

Anybody else run into this problem and how did you re-attach it?

PLease, please say this is a simple fix, as right now it appears we have to jack up the engine block to get to the entrance of the guide!!!!

TTFN Jennifer

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Jennifer,

Take the part of the dipstick tube that sticks into the block and gnarl it up with a sharp pair of wire cutters. Put a few gouges and notches in it and it should press or tap right back in and stay put. Then re-insert the dipstick.

Another way is to take a tapered center punch and tap it into the block end of the dipstick tube to stretch it out a little. Not too hard though, you need to be careful not to “rip” the tube. This and gnarling with the wire cutters should do the trick.

If you could clean it off really well (and the hole in the block), you could put a little dab of red RTV on it before you push it back in. But I doubt if you can get the hole in the block clean enough to make the RTV stick.

Let us know how you make out.

Pink MG39937.7080787037

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Jennifer;

Mark’s on the spot on this.  It sure is scary when you pull one of those out of the block the first time, huh?

Why something that we use so often is press fit rather than threaded is beyond me.

Ringo

ssimgtd
    Participant

@ssimgtd

My issue is not so much getting the guide to stay in,more trying to get at the entrance on the block without having to jack up the engine. Any easy suggestions for dealing with that?

We’re having trouble accessing the hole easily.

TTFN Jennifer

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Jennifer

I took a look tonight and I think you might be able to get it fixed without lifting the engine.  I used an inspection mirror and I can see the tube into the engine block.  Yeah, it’s kinda inside the engine mount, but I was able to get my hand up on the tube from underneath and still see with the mirror all the way to the block.

It’ll be a two person job, one above to push and turn, one below with the mirror to guide and assist with the final push. Tight and no fun, but I think you can certainly give it  good try before resorting to pulling the engine or taking off the engine mounts.  Take a look from under neath with a mirror and see what you think.  Don’t forget to prepare the end like Mark suggests, then see if you can do it.  Can’t hurt anything.

Let us know what you think after you look with the mirror.

Ringo

ssimgtd
    Participant

@ssimgtd

You guys are so great to talk to….you actually confirmed what I had been thinking….now way more willing to try it with your support…and yes I can see what you mean about streching the base of the tube a bit…it must have slipped out really easily because it was so smooth and narrow.

Will keep you posted on my progress!!

TTFN J

PS Happy driving…just wish the weather here on the We(s)t Coast would clear up and be sunny…No fun driving in the rain!!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.