Car names

Home Forums General Discussion Car names

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jon Townsend
    Participant

@jon-townsend

Noone has posted their car names on this site yet. I will start the list now.

I just named my little red 1954 MG-TD ” RUBY MAGONEYA”  like in the phrase      ” DON’T THE NAME RUBY MAGONEYA MEAN NOTHING TO YOU ?”  which everyone knows.     Jon in Ky

William J Collins
    Participant

@bill-collins

Jon …Better clean your glasses.. Right on the Front page are “Roxie”,”, “Casper” ,”Lil Green Mouse” and Last but not least MY “Angelica”

Jon Townsend
    Participant

@jon-townsend

I stand corrected.

Guests
    Participant

@guests

Be nice Bill….use this larger font!!! My site ID, “Pink MG” is my car’s name.

Jon, I think it would be neat for us to post the explanation for each car’s name. 

By the way Bill, the upholsterer in Lakewood ran our of leather last week (never called me either!) and only got the seat back and the pleated seat surface of the 2 seat bottoms completed! Sounds fishy to me. I gave him a 55 sq. ft. hide. He told me he only needed 35 sq. ft. to do the 3 pieces of the seats and the door panels. I bought another hide (46 sq. ft.) from Keleen Leathers yesterday. He’s had these seats since 7 September! I’d better make these seats removable so I can bring them into the house as furniture!

Guests
    Participant

@guests

When I was a sprout, the real MGTD’s were brand new models. My mother thought they were the neatest car she ever saw. My Dad was 6’8″/300lbs. and was not about to buy something that he couldn’t fit in too. I felt bad that she couldn’t get one. I’m sure that lack of finances were the real reason.

So when I had one of those “serious” talks most of us always had with Mom, I would always ask her, “Mommy, when I grow up I’m going to buy you any car you want. What do you want me to buy you?” She would answer, “You can buy me a pink MG.”

I got my first MGTD kit in 1999. It had an NJ personal plate that read “PINKMG”. Mom did get a short ride in it before she passed away in 2001 at 87 years old. During the ride she asked when I was going to paint it pink for her!

Jon Townsend
    Participant

@jon-townsend

I used the russian spelling. Should have been ” Ruby Begonia”.

William J Collins
    Participant

@bill-collins

ANGELICA IS A LITTLE GIRL WHO IS A TROUBLEMAKER IN THE COMICS.IN OUR KITCAR CLUB HERE IN NEW JERSEY (THE NJRC) WE RAN AN ANNUAL RACE OF PINE CARS AT ONE OF OUR DINNERS ..I BUILT A PINE CAR AND FOR A DRIVER I USED ONE OF MY GRAND KIDS FIGUREINE OF ANGELICA AND ATTACHED THE HEAD AND ARMS TO THE STEERING WHEEL TO REPRESENT A DRIVER AND HELP BRING THE WEIGHT UP TO THE 5 OZ ALLOWED WEIGHT..WELL I NEVER WON ANYTHING TILL THEN..LITTLE ANGELICA GAVE ME LUCK THAT DAY.TOOK FIRST PLACE AND THE TROPHY TO KEEP FOR ONE YEAR AND SO WHEN I BOUGHT THE “PINK MG” FROM MARK HENDRICKSON THE CURRENT PRESIDENT OF THE “NEW JERSEY REPLICAR CLUB” I RENAMED IT THE ANGELICA..

Michael Pullen
    Participant

@merlin

Car names; I worked on my badly deteriorated (previously abandoned and left for dead) Fiberfab for well over a year before it was worthy of any name at all besides “that damned piece of —- out back” but eventually my wife said “you have to give that poor guy a name”. She has always named her cars, including a few VW’s to which she is quite partial. Back when I was a hippie, I had this dog named Merlin, who lived 16 years and went through most of the major transitions of my life with me and is buried in my backyard. Merlin is also a figure from the lore of the  British Isles and the name of a powerfull British motor, so it seemed the natural choice. Back in the sixties, when I worked on my first (and only other) auto restoration, a 1950 Chevy pickup, Merlin was with me for every knuckle bruising agonizing moment.  I had neither tools, knowledge nor money, just a lot of time on my hands, determination and my dog to keep me company. I find myself thinking about him a lot when I work on this car, because the smells  (did that truck mostly on the gravel in front of a friends shop who did fiberglass.) and the work remind me of that time. Now I have plenty of money for parts, a comfortable dry place to work, and a ton of tools, but I don’t have the dog. When Merlin is complete, I’ll remember my dog every time I drive his namesake.

Michael

Larry
    Participant

@larry

Maurice has been officially named here in sunny Fla.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Well I just acquired this unbuilt, red CMC Fiberfab kit. MG is a British car and in the James Bond movies, Moneypenny is James’ redheaded love, I guess “Moneypenny” will be her name. newkitman40421.4148726852

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

I will be updating the registry map and spreadsheet today. I’ll put Moneypenny in the car name column. Good name Allen

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

All of my hobby cars and trucks in the past have had well thought out names.  Soooo.. I’m sorry to say that over the past 2 years I’ve taken the apparent easy route and have always refered to her as simply “The Duchess”

Now that I see it print, I like it!  “The Duchess” it is.

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Got The Duchess in the update.

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

‘Dixie cup” is the name because she is our ice-cream getter ride to ,Baskin- Robbins on these warm southern evenings  Dan R

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Got Dixie Cup in the update …..ice cream sounds good!

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Ice cream. yeah! Or, in our case, Gelotti from Ritas

http://www.youtube.com/user/edsnova?feature=mhum#p/a/u/2/ULK _o9OnUYg

(Caution: stunt driving)

Ed. Note: I fixed the link Ed.

PMOSSBERG40421.9845601852

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

We named ours “Audrey”, after Audrey Hepburn.  When we first started dating some 40+ years ago., one of the first movies we went to see was “Two for the Road” Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney drove a MGTD across Europe and we fell in love with the car and each other.  Said some day we would have one, finally got it so she named after her.   Been together ever since..Montie  

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Cool story Montie – here’s to another 40

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thanks for the fix, Paul.

We named our car Bridget within a month or two of her arrival here. Don’t think the last guy had a name for her.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.