Clutch cable issue

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Clutch cable issue

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Annie’s clutch cable snapped on the way to the repair shop, so I asked them to replace it. They tell me that the ordered the oem cable for a 1970 VW Beetle (which should be correct) but when it arrived it was about a foot too long.

Any idea why this should be the case or what I should do now?Cry
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

They have the correct cable – which will be too long.  Your TDr front seat is not in the same location as on a “bug”.  It and the controls were moved back about a foot therefore the cable is a foot too long. They can easily take up the slack at the clutch arm on the side of the transaxle.  

If they could not figure out how to do this, you might want to get another repair shop to do your work.  
    Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

You can loop the cable and double clamp it to make it the correct length or cut it and double clamp it to splice it back together. Small U Clamp’s.
    Allow for some adjustment at the clutch arm. The clamps should be between the cable tube and the clutch arm.gbidick2013-08-29 08:16:15

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Thanks guys. I had been telling them that the frame had not been shorterned. Didn’t even think about the pedals being movedLOL

I called and they had just worked it out themselves by looking at the snapped version which was looped and clamped (Duh).
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

Good deal.  That’s the way all of our (VW) clutch cables are rigged.  

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Not mine – full length on Fiberfab – bars from standard location to the new set.

sreynolds
    Participant

@sreynolds

Mine too.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Of course you are correct.  I forgot that some of the kits used pedal extenders.  

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Wow, another reason that Annie is not a Fiberfab!

She seems to be one but with too many differences which are now:

Shorter windshield

TD badges on Steering wheel and radiator

5 gal gas tank

Nifty compartment under hood

Plain dashboard.

Clutch cable needs to be shorterned.

She doesn’t seem to fall into any of the other major manufacturers. So I either have a hybrid or a muttSmile
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.