Clutch pedal extension

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Clutch pedal extension

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Wendy
    Participant

@wendyb

Am I the only person out there with short legs that dont’t reach the clutch? I have improvised an extension for the pedal by using a bicycle pedal added to the clutch pedal but there must be a better way! I see some extenders for sale but they don’t look like they would fit my tiny pedal on my BCW replica. Any suggestions? BTW, moving the seat forward is not an option.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

This might work for you:

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Wendy

I guess (and hope) these are out of the question…for a LOT of reasons:

Before we mess with the pedals, are you sure they are installed correctly? In their resting position, are the brake and clutch pedal even? If  not, the stop on the flooor may not have been installed correctly.

How much of an addition do you need? You said you added a bicycle pedal, so it sounds like you only need an inch or so.

I looked at a lot of extensions. Most seem designed to add anywhere from three to twelve inches. And of course, our VW based cars have the pedals hinged from the bottom, not the top, which changes the angles somewhat.

I found this clutch pedal extension for $49. It’s designed for a Mustang. But you might be able to adapt it for your setup. You might also have to glue the VW pad to the face of the extension.

Ordering page:

Installation instructions:

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Wendy,

A couple more options.

Drive Master says they can customize a solution. Scroll to bottom of this page:

These look too wide, although the accelerator extension might be adaptable to your clutch pedal:

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I’m done after this one.

If you want to do some fabrication…pick up a brake pedal cover at Autozone (less than two bucks).

Cut a wood block to the thickness you need to add. Remove the VW pad, drill through the block and VW pedal, and bolt on the cover and the wood block. It’ll look like this mod to a brake pedal. I would also paint the wood block black!

PMOSSBERG2013-06-03 12:27:01

Paul Mossberg

Mark Konrad
    Participant

@mark-k

HI Wendy

I’ll bet you that your legs are not as short as mine!!!. I had the complete pedal assembly moved closer the seat on the tunnel. A little costly but didn’t have to put on pedal blocks on etc. It would probably work for you also.

Mark

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I think that’s wishful thinking Mark.

The pedal cluster had to have been moved already. The  stock location isn’t even inside the TD passenger compartment.

Once that hole is cut in the tunnel, to move the cluster again is difficult. The hole is 2 and 1/4″, and you have the bolt hole on each side. To move the pedal cluster a second time means a move of about five inches, or you have to weld up the tunnel and start over.

And, Wendy only mentioned a problem with the clutch. That sounds like she reaches the brake and accelerator just fine.

PMOSSBERG2013-06-03 16:12:49

Paul Mossberg

Mark Konrad
    Participant

@mark-k

Well Paul that is about what was done for me. Ron at Sunshine Auto Garage had to make a push rod for the brake but everything works great. I have had it checked also by my close friend from our VW club who owns a classic car repair shop while we changed the master cylinder and says it was done very well.

If anyone has a question on how it was done they can call Ron at Sunshine Auto Garage in Sarasota, they do complete VW resto’s. If you give him my name he will remember.

Just trying to help her out with an idea.Mark K2013-06-04 07:48:12

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Mark,

I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to offend. We’re all trying to help out.

You are right, the pedal cluster has to be moved from its orginal location.

I was questioning if your pedal cluster was moved once, and then moved a second time?

Given the size and location of the access and bolt holes for the pedal cluster, I don’t think it would be possible to move the pedals a second time, especially if it only needs to move an inch or two. One of the bolts would wind up in the middle of the access hole.

If your pedals were moved twice, it would be helpful to see how that was done.

Especially handy for cars that change hands and don’t “fit” the new owner.

PMOSSBERG2013-06-04 10:07:03

Paul Mossberg

Wendy
    Participant

@wendyb

Great ideas. Thank you everyone. I have ordered the Mustang extension and will see if it works. It is well worth the gamble. BTW, my home made extension does work. The local bicycle shop had an unmatched pedal that they gave me for free. I then used a commercial strength rubber glue and added a rubber pad to the top of the pedal. Then I used heavy duty nylon cord ties and strapped the whole thing onto the pedal over the clipped on piece that was already there. Doesn’t look like an original pedal any more, but it works. Still can’t depress the clutch all the way comfortably though. 🙁

Wendy
    Participant

@wendyb

Now that I look at the shoes, I think it is a wonderful idea. LOL! Can’t use that pair, however, because the car is maroon and black and the shoes wouldn’t match.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Gotta love a girl with a sense of humor about herself.  There is a solution to the dilemma:  repaint the car.  

…….and isn’t everything (almost) ”West of Boston”?
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Roy…not everything. NC is SOUTH of Boston. You must have forgotten! LOL  LOL

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

Any thought of moving the seat closer?

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Wendy wrote in her initial post “BTW, moving the seat forward is not an option.”

My guess is she can work the accelerator and brake just fine, but cannot fully engage the clutch.

PMOSSBERG2013-06-05 20:58:25

Paul Mossberg

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

Wendy , my wife just put a black vinyl pillow behind her to move her closer to the petals . And yes I moved the seat all the way forward as I could go .She has short legs.Clown ray102013-06-05 22:03:20

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

For what it’s worth, if Wendy says moving her seat forward is not an option, I bet (again) moving herself forward in the seat isn’t an option either. Just sayin’! Ermm

Paul Mossberg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.