Convertible Top

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas Convertible Top

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Richard
    Participant

@richard

Installed a new top from MG Magic and it looks great! Made it to 55mph and the front lip came out of the windshield. Any advice on how to adjust this little problem? Thank You!

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Is the top snug without excess loosness which will cause it to flop in the wind? If it’s loose ,you can raise the front bow by loosening the set screws in the sliding bracket and positioning the front bow in a higher position on the rear bow. Also ,unless the top has  loops  sewn in it for the bows to pass thru, you will need to add two straps  to draw the bows together and in some cars the straps also  run to the body of the car attaching below the rear window.

All the advice above assumes that the top has a metal or plastic strip inserted into the hem at the front of the top that fits into the groove on the front of the windshield frame.

Larry Murphy40692.9539930556

mike
    Participant

@mikeeva

i had a similar problem with the top , however, mine was an old top. the strip would ooze out of the channel at speed. my fix was to replace the strips that go into the loop on the front edge,which were made of cardboard with some masonite i cut on the table saw and sanded the sharp edges . was a little trial and error getting just the right size . but it hasnt come loose with 3 tanks of gas on the blue ridge parkway and surrounding roads. some brief sprints to 75 mph.
    plastic or similar material would work and i suppose there something that can be had from a top shop that would slip in with no fabrication needed.

Richard
    Participant

@richard

The front edge has a plexiglass insert but the top is loose above my head. I will look at the bow for adjustments and see what happens. Thank you!

mike
    Participant

@mikeeva

plexiglass… why didnt i think of  that

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

I used aluminum bar stock , bought at Lows and it slips in the slot and the top pocket and has never come out ,easy to insert and remove it will never break and will not bent when trying to insert. Dan R

Richard
    Participant

@richard

The plexi came with the top but my feeling is that its too flimsy. I will try the aluminum though. I just finished adjusting the top and now I have to move the screw snaps. I’m going to be filling hole forever. I will drive it tomorrow and see what happens. 

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Dan R has the answer here.

My original Classic Roadsters top, with the kit in 1982, used a piece of flat aluminum stock. I never had a problem.

Around 1989 I had to replace the roof.

The replacement from Classic Roadsters used a flexible material, not sure what it is. But it did not hold the roof in the channel at speed.

I replaced it with the original aluminum bar…no more problem.

So why a new roof after only seven years? You will NEVER believe it!

A neighbor firing off a handgun in his garage put a bullet through it.
    Bullet came through the garage wall, went right through the zipper joint between the side curtain and roof on
    driver’s side, and out the curtain on passenger side, then through a
    picket fence. Police could do nothing because nobody saw the guy do it,
    even though the hole in the garage wall, the holes in my roof and in the
    fence all aligned perfectly. True Story!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Paul, I have always heard that the truth is stranger than fiction and your story seems to back that up.Glad that no one was hurt or killed in the incident.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

We were on vacation. The car was easily fixed.

The neighbors on the other side of that fence had a little boy, about five or six. I shudder to think what might have happened if he was playing outside.

We “know” who did it, the son of our neighbors. Known drug addict, and a the police used him as an informer. They were never going to do anything to investigate.

Ah well…’twas a long time ago.

back to the regularly scheduled thread…

PMOSSBERG40693.8996990741

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Richard
    Participant

@richard

He was used as a CI then they had evidence. At least enough to make a charge. Guess his info was more valuble to them. Glad no one was hurt! Like the story!

Richard
    Participant

@richard

OK top is holding so far. I used a metal bar from cyclone fence as well as adjusting the top.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Where are the pictures?

Richard
    Participant

@richard

Im not proud of it yet. I am starting to feel it may be pic worthy!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.