Convertible top installatin

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Convertible top installatin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John McDermon
    Participant

@hawk521

Purchased a new top w/hardware from Brad at MG Magic for my CMC MG TD Chevette.  After studying the instructions (and listening to Brad’s advice) I have a few questions for those who’ve gone down this road before.  Bear in mind that my car has never had a top.

I also previously purchased windwings (not yet installed) that are designed to be mounted to a small 1/8″ x 3/4″ aluminum angle brackets that fit into the groove on the forward slot on each side of the windshield frame.  But the side curtains also fit into that slot!  I cannot see a straight forward way to make both work.  But surely this is not the first time someone’s had this issue.  So…

Is there a known solution to this delima?  Or must I chose either a top or windwings?  I’d love to be able to have both mounted at the same time – realizing that with the side curtains on the windwings are essentially useless.  Maybe someone has thought of a way to make the windwings easily removed and reinstalled?

Also – any other helpful hints on the top installation would be most appreciated.  I’ve got more carpet and upholstery work to do before the top… but it sometimes helps me to have considerable time to contemplate various ways of doing things.  BTW, my windshield is already mounted – but if absolutely necessary I will rework it to change the angle a bit to optimally fit the top.  I hope to not have to do that – but time will tell.

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

I just recently put a new top on my car. My car previously had a top on her so the male snaps were already on the body. I just had to install the female side on the new top to align. I adjusted the top optimal setting by moving the pivot for the top frame and not the windshield. That worked out perfectly and the top is nice a tight as a drum. My side curtains install with three snaps with an inter flap to direct any wind away. My wind wings that I installed stay in place and the side curtain attaches to the windshield frame behind. I think pictures may help. Before I head to work I’ll take some pics in the AM. Look in the photo section of the forum, under my name. The driveway pics of the car with the top up are pics that I made the day I installed the new top. That was also the day the engine locked up when I tried to start it to back up the driveway after taking the pics . Maybe I got the top too tight . I think I included pics of the side curtain installed also. If it will help, I’ll be happy to either email some pics to you or post them here.

James

Mel Zeiger
    Participant

@luvmytd

Hawk:

I installed wind wings in June., The male snaps were already in place.  When I put the side curtains on it is tight but workable.  I would install the wind winds then the male snaps.

If I was in Florida I would take some pictures but I don’t have visitation rights to Mrs. Peel until Dec.

James it leading you down the right direction.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hawk,

Your description sounds different than any other replica MG TD I have seen. Do your curtains have some sort of metal bracket on the leading edge that would slip into the windshield frame groove? I have never seen a set up like that. If they do, perhaps it can be removed and you can install female snaps on the curtains and male snaps on windshield frame?

Can you give us a couple pictures?

The side curtains on my Classic Roadsters Duchess attach the same way James described. They do not extend forward and around the windshield frame. They simply snap to a series of snaps along the side of the windshield frame.

The wings are attached in the groove in the front of the windshield frame. They remain in place when the side curtains are on.

I do not have any pictures in my photo gallery with the curtains on. But in the rear 3/4 view you can see the male snaps on the side of the windshield frame.

If you do need to modify the curtains to attach like ours, be careful. VERY careful. You will have to cut the ends of the standard screw in male snaps. And drill very carefully into the windshield frame so that you do not drill into the glass. My Duchess assembly manual has the spec for the depth of the hole and the snaps. I think it was 3/8″ but I will check if you want.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Hawk,

Here are some pics I took this morning.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hawk,

My Duchess attachment points for the curtains are the same as those on James’ CMC/Fiberfab.

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

John McDermon
    Participant

@hawk521

I appreciate all the guidance.  Looking at the side curtains I received it would appear they are designed to fit on the windshield frame sides in an identical manner to the top edge.  There are three pieces of lexan (1/8″ x 1/2″) with one piece the width of the windshield and the other two the height.  The leading edge of the side curtains have pockets to hold these lexan strips just as the top has a pocket to hold the long piece.

I’m a while away from being ready to actually mount the top.  Got to get the carpet and upholstery finalized first.  Just trying to get my plan together.

All the advice is helpful and much appreciated. 

Thank you one and all.  🙂

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

That is how the leading edge of my roof attaches. There is a sleeve sewn in, an aluminum strip slides in, and the entire thing wraps around the top of the windshield frame and fits in the frame slot.

The same approach to the curtains will prevent you from leaving the wind wings on.

I would bet the sleeve is sewn between the inner and outer layer of the side curtains. Perhaps you could cut it off (carefully) with a razor knife and attach the female snaps. Or, you could open the seam, remove the sleeve and have it sewn back up.

As you wrote, you have plenty of time to plan your approach!

Paul Mossberg

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.