convertible top

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project convertible top

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ronsmg
    Participant

@ronsmg

We have a Daytona Migi MGTD I think a 1953 version.  We need a convertible top to replace the original.  It’s a two pole type.  We have been told that the MGTD convertible tops available may not fit the Migi.  Any suggestions?  This is just about the last thing we need to make the car roadworthy (we’re in Seattle, you know with the rain and all).  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Try a boat top maker. TD tops are more like Bimini tops than modern car convertible tops. 

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Hi Ron Welcome to our little group a new top can be bought from MG Magic in Hollywood Fl. phone  954 680 2010….  lots of  mg kit stuff …Good luck  Dan

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

I have a factory built London Roadster TD replica that as far as I can determine uses the same body as the Daytona MIGI. I replaced the  top with one that fits an original MG with a two bow top. In order to make it work, I had to cut 2” off each end of the rear top bow.If I had not shortened the bow the top would not have been long enough to reach the windshield. I still have enough head room because the top is not lowered where it passes over the driver’s head ,it is lower in the area behind the seat.Also ,I am only 5’8” tall.Iordered it off the internet  from Convertible Top Guys.Their price is just under $300.I have been very happy with it and will go this route again ,it’s a much better top than the ”custom made ”top on my BCW TD replica. Just remember, if you cannot make it work, you are stuck with it.You can see it on the yellow MG in my members photo gallery. Larry Murphy40351.9156944444

mike
    Participant

@mikeeva

my fiberfab top has been in storage  and in nice shape, however it will not come close to fitting(4inches short). the snaps line up so it appears to be original to the car. does vinyl shrink that much? i have it snapped with the bows loose but cant push it up . any ideas?

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Are the bows the correct height for the top? I know the top material shrinks over time but 4” seems a little much.Do you have the front bow slide positioned as low as it will go on the rear bow? Last,is the windshield mounted at the correct angle? By tilting the windshield to the rear of the car you can get the two closer together but if you tilt it too far it will not suit the design of the car.

I have heard of hanging the top over a table and hanging weights to the front and rear of the top and soaking with water over a period of time to stretch the material.

Let us know how it turns out.

mike
    Participant

@mikeeva

yes larry ,the bows were attached and in a zippered covering with the top. im thinking some summer weather might make a difference. surely im not the only one to have this problem.

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Yeah, hanging weights from the edges will work wonders, esp if you put it the warmest spot in the house. If you rush it by putting too much heat (like a heat gun…) it might rip or wrinkle. Ask me how I know

You can use  a hair dryer and use it sparringly over a long time (think weeks, not days) and keep both sides hydrated.  A couple of weeks will tell you if it’ll stretch back out.

Ron, boat top shops are the first places I’d try.

Ringo40589.7886689815

mike
    Participant

@mikeeva

ok. top is on. a couple warm days of sun and pushing the loose bows up from the bottom and pulling the bows together with a cargo strap . didnt know vinyl would stretch that much

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Good job!!! Just goes to show that patience pays dividends. Glad it worked out for you.

What’s  that animal in the background?

mike
    Participant

@mikeeva

that critter is a concrete deer . the real ones come at night and have dinner with him

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.