Convertible top front mounting battens?

Home Forums General Discussion Convertible top front mounting battens?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

My 27 year old kit has the original convertible top and windshield frame. It is a Fiberfab/CMC. The convertible top is in excellent shape since it was stored indoors all this time. How does the top attach to the windshield frame? It looks like there should be a batten of some type that slips into the front seam of the convertible top and then the top gets inserted into the groove in the front of the frame. Right now it’s just the fabric and that can’t possibly work without some type of stiffener. If it gets a batten, what size and what material?

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I could never keep the top in that groove. I installed a row of snaps.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Gabe,

My CMC/Fiberfab kit convertible top is like yours. There is a looped area in the leading edge that should accept a long piece of material to fit the top into the windshield frame front groove. It looks like it should take about a 3/8-inch wide piece that runs the entire width of the top (37-inches). Possibly fiberglass or really light weight aluminum. Hopefully our own Paul Mossberg will chime in. There was a thread earlier about this and I believe that I asked the original question but I couldn’t find it in the search. Probably forgot the actual title of the thread.

Does your top have the top canvass straps that run between the bows? Mine are either missing or not part of the later kits.

newkitman2013-07-02 18:37:33

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Hey folks. I think I may have solved the problem. What did I do? I used a narrow leaf from the front beams. Many of us have pulled the narrow leaves and only use the 4 large leaves. Heck. I had a dozen leaves in the shed so I tried it. The leaf slipped right into the top loop and it fit like a glove. And if I increase the frame groove opening by about 1 mm, the whole leading edge of the top will fit in snug as a bug in a rug without forcing it.  Thumbs Up

Hopefully some others will check this out and confirm my findings. If anything, at least I found what will work for mine. And if it does work for others, I have 11 leaves left that I can give to a good top.  Smile

Allen Caron

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

What Allen said is exactly right.

Classic Roadsters Ltd. used this approach. On earlier cars, they provided an aluminum a piece of flat aluminum stock, about 1/8″ thick. I never had a problem with that pulling loose from the frame.

At some point Classic Roadsters Ltd. switched from the aluminum stock to some sort of flexible material. It does not work as well.

When I replaced my roof (Classic Roadsters was still in business), I received the flexible bar. It is fine with both curtains on, or no curtains on. But with passenger side only, it pulls out of the windshield frame.

To take some stress of the sewn roof corners, I added a snap on each side at the very top, side of the windshield frame.

So…find some flat aluminum stock, about an 1/8th inch thick and cut it to the width needed to slide into that sleeve on the front of your roof.
    PMOSSBERG2013-07-08 10:50:10

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Allen, I might be able to use one of those leaves. What are the measurements?

Or I could get off my a– and grind my old one down to fit the replacement roof. 😉

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

I have a piece of about 1/16″ x 3/8″ nylon plastic stock inside the leading edge that runs the length of the windshield.  Works good and is flexible enought to fit into boot OK.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Paul

I have plenty of the leaves so if you want one let me know and I;ll send it to you. The measurements are:

1/8-inch thickness

3/8-inch tall

37 1/2-inches long

Allen Caron

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

I measured the slot and it took a 13/64 drill bit (.203) and depth was .617. Fabric thickness at the fold is .062 and seam is .800 back. Playing engineer with this, it seems 1/8 thick by 3/8 or 1/2 inch wide should fit. I’ll do a wooden dummy first to check fit.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

My top is pretty much like others have described with a flat bar that is very close in dimension to the smaller of the front leaves.  I have shown a detail of the driver’s front corner which keeps it quite secure.  It is a pretty good rig.  Much better than many of my previous sports cars.  No leaks. Good luck.   

My 

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

A picture is priceless. thanks

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

When I had my new top made, I had a length of 1/8′ aluminum bar (from the local hardware store) sewn into the front of the top. It fits right into the slot at the top of the windshield, works great, and will never rot.
    mrlmd2013-07-03 12:53:40

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

I didn’t get the straps either, but the convertible top seems to have a nice fabric tube sen in to hold the frame bow. Doe anyone have the dimensions for the strap from bow to bow?

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Dimensions will likely vary a bit between manufacturers, and indeed between cars.

Best bet is an adjustable set. Mine have a sewn in loop that slides over the rear bar. the front end is loose, and has velcro sewn on. The wraps around the front bar , and allows you to pull the top snug. Then the strap just velcros to itself.

A set up like this allows you to loosen the bars, but still hold the front bar in place, relieving the tension on the roof, which makes lowering and raising a lot easier.

Paul Mossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Thanks for the offer Allen.

The bar for my roof needs to be 39 1/2″ long

Paul Mossberg

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

Velcro: Great idea.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.