cowl brackets for TDr?

Home Forums General Discussion cowl brackets for TDr?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Dave B.
    Participant

@dave-b

Here’s a bit of detail from what is ostensibly a Classic Roadsters Duchess (and I apologize for the poor image quality):

At the base of the windscreen frame is what is described (at least with respect to the actual MGTD) as a “cowl bracket.”   In my Duchess the base of the windscreen frame is simply a straight piece of extruded aluminum that attaches to the body with two bolts.   My question is whether the brackets are available and, if so, where I can pick up a pair.

-Dave

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

me too

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

I didn’t know dat.
    I need some too.

No trees were injured in the making of this message, but some electrons were inconvenienced.

Dave B.
    Participant

@dave-b

Well, if nothing else we seem to have a consensus.

Derek
    Participant

@nobody

I’d love to get my hands on a pair as well. Don’t have a clue where to get them though…

Anonymous
    Inactive

The cowl brackets were an optional option on some kits when they were first manfactured. Might try to have someone make some, Member bought inventory of a canadian TD manfacture he might have some.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nuts and Bolts is member who bought the Canadan manfactury inventory. He might find some pigenhole somewere.

Dave B.
    Participant

@dave-b

Thanks, George.  It’s not a big deal, but not having brackets is a dead giveaway for a replica.  My son and I have been talking about casting a pair of them out of aluminum if I and when I get some of the front burner projects out of the way.

Mike Schumacher
    Participant

@juneybug

Dave If you do get round to it I would be happy to buy a pair at a price I’m sure we could both be happy with. Mike

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

MG Magic had those for a long time – I bought a pair a couple of years ago ( maybe more ) and think I paid 85.00 for the pair on special. Might give them a call as well.

Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

I checked their web site yesterday and didn’t see them listed

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I have a paper template for them that Montie sent me. Tried to make them out of sheetmetal as a practice piece and to check fit. It didn’t work out too well. I’ll have to try again. Bending the piece around the windshield post is the tricky part.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

You could give Brad a call anyway and see if maybe he has a couple squirreled away someplace.

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Dave, if a high school in your area has a metal shop class, maybe you could talk the teacher into suggesting it as a project for the students. (Or do high schools still have vocational arts classes like that anymore?) ❓

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Does anyone have access to a 3-D printer? Could they just be spit out?

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

doug schmidt
    Participant

@dougsgarage

Dave..I have a pair of brackets from my Chevette based fiberfab kit. I am trying to use 2 original brakets, or I think they call them windshield stations, left over. They look similar to your photo. I shall rummage about and locate them.

Dave B.
    Participant

@dave-b

Thanks, Doug.  It should work if the Fiberfab cowl and the Duchess cowl are the same.  If they’re compatible, I might be interested in using them as patterns to cast a pair.  By way of explanation, our family motto is “Why buy it when you can build it for more?”  Actually, my son just built a new foundry and is really interested in doing this.  If you find yours, please do let me know and we’ll take it from there.
    -Dave

Derek
    Participant

@nobody

If you are able to get that and the casting turns out well I’d be interested in purchasing a pair.

Dave B.
    Participant

@dave-b

If this happens I promise I won’t keep it to myself, but I can say that it’s probably not going to happen soon–a lot of much bigger projects ahead of it, I’m afraid.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I was hoping someone would say “home foundry.” Looks eminently doable that way, but it will surely be quite a lot of work. I really hope to see it!

Rich Kallenberger
    Participant

@kall

I’m with Billinparts.  I think that 3d printing of non-structural, limited demand parts is the future.  I understand that if you have one original or a 3d CAD file you are good to go.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

You could sure do it if you had an additive printer that prints metal. Trouble is, no one has one except mfgs.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I’ve been watching this thread because it’s interesting, not because I need these “brackets”. So, I asked my son (whom some of you have met in VaBch) about 3-D printing. Here is his response:

Probably not of much help, but here you go:

Certainly possible to print with 3D printer….(I don’t have one, but
    would love one for Christmas!!)….

There are lots of 3D printing services that do this stuff….poke around
    online for a bit…I have no idea what the cost would be, but you would
    (at least) need some good drawings or at least an original to scan.

check out sites such as this:

http://www.shapeways.com/

http://www.quickparts.com/

Another option would be to sign up for a 3D class at a local Community
    College – many of them have 3D printers and teach this stuff…could be
    fun and give you access to the tools…

Dave B.
    Participant

@dave-b

Real men melt metal.

doug schmidt
    Participant

@dougsgarage

Cowl brackets from a fiberfab Chevette kit. Email me if you are still in need

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.