Disc Brake Conversion – Ball Joint Replac

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Disc Brake Conversion – Ball Joint Replac

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Pat Dwyer
    Participant

@fareoh

Hope everyone had a good holiday!

When changing from drums to discs on the front end does it increase wheel width?

I am replacing the hacked up front beam with a new adjustable beam and was planning on installing discs at the same time. 

I was also wondering if anyone had any advice on replacing ball joints. I have heard that there was a problem with replacement ball joint sizes not being correct.

Thanks.

Bill Pollard
    Participant

@mr-bill

Evening,

I have installed the adjustable front axle and disc brakes without a problem. Be sure to read “PinkMG” on the proceedure.

However the ball joints are another situation. I installed the Brazillion made and the German made with the same results, a very still steering that isn’t getting any better even though I have put about 2000 miles on the car since I installed the German made ball joints. The parts place and this Form has said with wear they will become looser.

I installed the “EMPI” style wheels also.

Mr. Bill

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

I bought trailing arms that already had German ball joints installed. It was cheaper than buying the joint and paying the local shop to press them in. At the time, I didn’t have access to a decent press.

Don’t use Brazilian ball joints.

The disc brake conversion doesn’t affect the width (track) enough to worry, maybe 1/4″ or less.

Pat Dwyer
    Participant

@fareoh

Thanks for the info guys.

Mark,

Did you have any problem with the torsion arms that had the ball joints already installed?  Where did you find them with German ball joints already installed?

Pat

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Hi Pat,

I got them at a place called CIP (California Import Parts) if I recall correctly. I had no problems at all. They sure made life easier too.

http://www.cip1.com/

Pat Dwyer
    Participant

@fareoh

Thanks Mark.  That where I bought my new beam. 

Aircooled.net has all four torsion arms w/ball joints for $180.00.  I thought that was pretty reasonable.  Don’t know what brand ball joints they use though.  I am like you and would want German ball joints. 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.