Door repair advice

Home Forums General Discussion Door repair advice

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Hi Guys

Loaned Annie out to a local wedding yesterday. Unfortunately there were a few issues on her return. The ones I really need advice on are..

There now exists “stress fractures” at the top of both doors, probably caused by the doors being opened too far etc.

What would be the best way of repairing these fractures?

Also If anyone knows what color of red my car is (Fiberfab?) that would be great!

. I also noticed that one of my “plastic” spokes on my spare wheel has been broken. I figure I should just glue it. Any suggestions?

Thx

Dan

IF I could work out how to attach photos, I would do it.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Instructions on photo upload from the great Ed Ericson…

First you go to your own thing. Upper right corner it should say something like “Howdy, Happy Jack.” Click on that and you get a drop-down menu. At the bottom it says “media.” Hover over that with your curser and you should see another drop-down menu with “albums,” “photos” “videos.” Click on “photos.”

That should bring you to a new page. If you have previously uploaded pictures, you will see some of them. Under “All Photos” near the top left of the page you will see “options” and “upload.”

Click on “upload.”

That opens another drop down box. You can actually drag and drop pictures into this from a folder on your computer screen, or you can navigate to the folder on your computer with the pics. Double click on them and the upload begins. You should see them appear in your photo album.

To get one into a post you have to click on it.

It should open up big. Then RIGHT-click on it, and you should see a box open up on it with options like “copy,” “save image as,” etc. Click on “copy image address.”

Now close the pic and find your way back to the post you want to put this photo in. (I often use two browser windows for this, keeping the “new post” box open in a separate tab or window).

(Hang on, we’re getting close now)</span></span></span>

Above the window where you want to make the picture go, there’s a line of little symbols. The second from the left is like a jagged little mountain with a little moon over it. That’s your “insert pic” button. Click it.

That opens a new box with a prompt that says “Source.” PASTE (control or command V) the “image address” you copied about six steps ago. Then press OK.

The photo should appear now as if by high-tech magic. So simple even a computer science Ph.D. could do it, sometimes, maybe, if he’d had enough Red B

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by billnparts.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Thanks Bill

I’m on it. Hopefully, I’ll post pictures today.

I realize that without pictures the question of what color my car is becomes a great pandemic quiz.

The car is sort of a fire engine red and I know that only the original builder who painted it would know the color for sure.

Cheers

Dan

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Dang. Someone was less than gentle with this, looks like.

I would unbolt those doors and take the interior panels off, then clean and rough the glass inside the void and reglass from that side. After that I would Dremel the cracks and fill those grooves from the outside with either Kitty Hair or (better) UPol Fibral, which is the best version of kitty hair fiberglass filler I’ve yet found.

After filling I’d sand around it with 80 then go back over it with regular body filler. Sand and smooth that a few times with 120-150-180-220 and go to a high-build primer

Find a paint shop to match that paint and put a quart in a couple spray cans for you, or bring them the door and have ’em shoot it.

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Thanks Edward. Great advice.

Any ideas on what to use to glue the spoke back together?

Angel
    Participant

@angel

You can use Gorilla glue or two part epoxy

Angel
    Participant

@angel

not for the door sorry…for the plastic spoke

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Thx Angel.

I think I’ll try Gorilla glue (less chance of making a mess) 🙂

Mark Radzin
    Participant

@marco_lardo

For the spoke, I would choose the two part epoxy as Gorilla Glue tends to expand as it cures. Probably not an issue for something like this, but I find epoxy easier to work with.

Bill
    Participant

@trikeman72

I have a pair of doors I’d let go if ya needed them whatever’s fair for price plus shipping from 85361 in Arizona

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Thanks for the offer Bill. I’m going to try Erics suggestion first and see how that goes.

John Cable
    Participant

@jayp

I am a new member and I cannot find a convenient way to post anything so I found something that was close to my dashboard handle question.

TeWhere do you get that nice chrome dashboard handle that is a pic on website

The one I got from Stoddard is only for the Porsche Speedster which I have a replica out here in Arizona

John Cable
    Participant

@jayp

I am a new member and I cannot find a convenient way to post anything so I found something that was close to my dashboard handle question.

Where do you buy that nice chrome dashboard handle that is a pic on website with MG ON IT

The one I got from Stoddard is only for the Porsche Speedster which I have a replica out here in Arizona

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Hi John

Not quiet the right place to post but to answer your question, Moss motors do a MG handle and MG Magic do a handle without the logo.

Welcome aboard

dan

John Cable
    Participant

@jayp

Where do I post question   SOC   SPEEDSTER’s owners group  is a bit friendlier

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Hi John

Once you have logged in. go to the forums, general discussion. BEFORE you select a posted message, there should be a txt box open at the bottom of the page (only appears if you are logged in). Here you can post your message with your own title.

hope this helps

dan

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.