Door Seals

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Door Seals

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I noticed in the assembly manual there is no seal between the body and the doors. Do you folks normally add any? They’re real easy to fabricate. Just wondering how you keep water from coming in the door when you wash the car or when it rains.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Something on this page should do it.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#foam-seals/=8l4wkh

There is a seal on my car.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Allen, I got mine at ORIELLY AUTO PARTS. I’m sure Advance or Auto Zone would have it as well.  I used a flat strip about 3/4 ”wide and 1/8” thick self adhesive that comes on a roll. I attached it to the inside of the door flange. You may need a thicker seal if the door does not fit the body with about the same distance all around it.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Your best bet is a style like #6 on the page RobBaker posted.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

I agree with Paul. I used the #6 on mine. Mounted on the door side, worked well. I do have doors that have a gap that varies, it’s like the doors are warped. In my case I went with the smaller height seal. I didn’t so much as have a problem with weather, mine was to stop the door from hitting the body (bang bang bang ). #6 did great,

James

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.