Engine Code and Generator Questions

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Engine Code and Generator Questions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant

@papanana

Hi to everyone.  We are still very new to this so as things come up the answers might sound to obvious.  So here are my questions.  I know I need to replace the generator, a “mechanic” put an ohm meter on it and it only registered 11.4 and won’t keep the battery charged.  One of my questions is what is the plastic piece sitting on top?  And 2nd, I can’t find a definite year or engine size from the numbers stamped on the block.  I looked it up in the VW Alive manual, but seemed pretty vague to me.  So I’m not sure if it is a ’72 or ’73 or which type it is.  I will post pics (papannana) of the “problems” in question.  Thanks to anyone that can point me in the right direction. I tried to post some pics, no luck.  The best description I can give is that there is a plastic piece that sits on top of the generator with what looks like three leads, but only one wire attached to it.  The other, the engine number (?) is AD38058D.  Again thanks for the help in getting pointed in the right direction.

Steve and Peggy

papanana39895.7291087963

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Steve & Peggy

Your engine (AD38058D) was built up on a replacement block (i.e. one that was not supplied with a new car. If built up stock, it is a 1600cc motor, probably cast in the late 60s early 70s.

Scroll down on this site and you will find the AD prefix code.

http://www.type2.com/bartnik/enginecodes.htm

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hello again…

I deleted the duplicate post that was on the “1951 MG TD” thread.

PMOSSBERG39895.9619212963

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Oh yeah…and I changed the topic from “help” to “Engine Code and Generator Questions”

Why?

Well…all our posts become a permanent part of the tdreplica history, unless deleted by one of the admins. So they are searchable and readable “forever”

It wouldn’t be much help if we had 10,000 postings, all with the topic of “help”.

We suggest that topics be descriptive. We also suggest that if you have new questions or the content of a thread has evolved from the initial topic, that the posters start a new thread, with an accurate description.

All for the betterment of mankind! Well, maybe not. But definitely for the betterment of this web site!

Paul Mossberg

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Why not convert to an Alternator? All of the VW vendors offer these kits that include everything you need except the “stand” which is simple to swap. It eliminates the external voltage regulator too. Alternators are much more efficient too.

I’d also check the cooling fan for cracks around the center of the hub. They are very common…and a disaster waiting to happen. It’s a good idea to replace the cooling fan when you replace the alternator/generator.

That plastic thing is probably just the snap in cover for the generator brushes. I could not find your gallery pics.

Pink MG39896.4545833333

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.