Fall is here oil change time

Home Forums General Discussion Fall is here oil change time

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Being that most all of these cars are almost 30 years old and ?? on the mileage be sure to change the oil and use engine flush at the end of the driving season .Yesterday coming home I lost oil pressure but no bad sounds of a death rattle, I removed the sending unite and it was stopped up with solid oil tar only 1500 miles on the oil and filter and I used engine flush !! I will change the oil this weekend 20w40 and filter fuel and air filter, maybe a PCV. Remember the old oil that sets in an engine will create acids through condensation that can hurt the bearings. on a manual transmission check it from under the car as will as the rear end gear lube  , a lot of us tend to skip the  rear end.         &n bsp;  Dan R

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Yeah,

I think mine just started leaking gear oil, yikes! good idea to check it. can you fill from the top by removing the boot?

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Geoff  , you should have a plug ,square head on the side of the trans. check it by removing it and fill to the bottom of the threads most trans use 90wt.gear lube the same with the rear axle.check with ford as to the lube you need  the rear seal on the trans is a easy repair but lots of bolts 4 on the rear drive shaft and pull it out use a seal remover to pull the seal out if you can’t use a puller you have to be carfull not to damage the Collier it sets in and using a small hammer and screw driver it is made if thin aluminum and removes with a little taping .you can tap the new one back in keeping it even. or take it to a local repair shop it will not cost to much        Dan,   good luck

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Thanks Dan,

I’m learning as I go!

Mel Zeiger
    Participant

@luvmytd

The beauty of the Southern States like Florida is the driving season is …………..

All Year

If I only could get there sooner

Dick
    Participant

@dickh

Did it over the weekend. I’ve got this routine. First I add a can of CD2 and go

for a drive. Then, while the oil is still warm, drain it out. I replace the oil

filter and refill with Castrol 10-40. Then I add Z-Max and go for a drive, per

the instructions.

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Dick  flushing is good  but I like a heaver oil 20/40 or 20/50 the miles of my Chevette engine is unknown ,just that it was new  in  1977 and I have NO IDEA . I drive the TD in the summer when it is warmer  she goes topless–we hide in the winter! I don’t like the top up and side curtains unless i get stuck driving in the rain  !! I hope you did a full service? I do mine at least once  year at  about 2,500 miles

Dan R40104.8202893519

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.