Fender welt replacement(piping)

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Fender welt replacement(piping)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Andre Boudreault
    Participant

@fermidable

I have a Fiberfab kit that is in bad condition…I found a chrome grill shell(Thank’s Pat) but now I have to replace all the fenders welt(piping) all around the car…Up to date I have removed the rear fenders and back trunk…but I have problems taking off the front fenders and the running board…do I have to lift the body from the VW platform ???Hope not !!!!!! If I have to do that…any suggestion how to proceed….if I have to do it …maybe I should also replace the floors (both side) that are also in bad condition…This is the problem bying a car on internet…..without having seen the car…and trust a guy that send you pictures of the car that were taken ….10 or 15 years ago…..YES I WAS STUPID(paid in full before having the car)..and now I have to bring that car in good condition…Thanks

Andre

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

You shouldn’t have to remove the main body from the floor pan. These VW based CMC/Fiberfab kits had a “false” firewall, usually made of wood, accessible from inside the car. If you can remove that, you will probably be able to get at the rest of the bolts.

Good idea to replace the floor pans…you’re sitting on them.

Bummer that the seller was not “up-front”. Buying a used “regular” car is risky enough, now you know that buying 25 year old kits cars sight unseen is a no-no. As long as you have the cash, skills and time, you’ll get it corrected.

Andre Boudreault
    Participant

@fermidable

Thanks for your help…Pink MG…

But can I replace the floor pan without lifting the body from the platform ???

Andre

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Andre,

You might be able to cut out the damaged portions and weld or rivet in patch panels.

But if you need to do complete replacements of both sides of the pan, you are going to have to lift the body. The main body panels bolt to the original body mounting holes for the Beetle, which run along the outer channel of the floor pan.

My personal build experience is with Classic Roadsters Duchess, but I think all of the replica bodies attache pretty much the same way.

PMOSSBERG39750.5421990741

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.