Fuel Tank in.

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Fuel Tank in.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

After many calls, including Classic Roadsters and MG Magic with no luck, I took some advise and found a fuel cell made by RCI that was at Summitt Racing.  With a few brackets and new straps it fits great.  It even included a sending unit that actually works. New lines, pump and clamps from front to rear.  Works great and  the Weber tuned up like never before. Along the way I found out that my Duchess came with the Royal package with the Dayton wire wheels and a luggage area behind the rear  compartment.  This compartment was what caused so much problem with finding a  quick find for the gas tank.  Anyway, up and running!!!!  Thanks for the  input from the forum.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Great news! A fuel cell is a good investment for a kit car.

I am assuming you are using the Holley/Weber progressive 2 barrel carb. I found a website that sells jets and other small parts in a kit for them. I bought one of them. You can really dial in the jetting if you want get “super finiky”.

Happy Motoring

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Thanks, I may need that site with the jet kit later on.  I also upgraded to a Carter 4070 fuel pump and with a quick tune with guidance from a Weber site ,(Redline), it runs so good that I’m going to tackle another project, new water hoses.  The summers here in Arkansas get too hot to trust to 24 year old rubber!

For me, half the fun is upgrading and maintaining old rides. As long as I don’t stop it from running, I’m good!

Steve

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

I think that’s the site I bought the “button box” full of jets from. Lot’s of good info there.

I may go for a fuel cell to replace the OEM Chevette tank in my TD. It’s been sitting so long I don’t think the insides can look very good. I learned my lesson years ago about rusty fuel tanks. It’s at least 20 years old and wasn’t driven much more than 1,900 documented miles when I got the car. There’s more than enough room for a fuel cell too.

Getting the old tanks cleaned is too much effort and not very many people do it right. A brandy new cell is a better idea…not to mention safer.

phillip boerner
    Participant

@mytdtoy

just replaced my gas tank. Came off a 61 VW…..It goes in the back, fore I

got

a Chevete 4 banger up front….. Phil in VAmytdtoy39613.8774074074

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Many kits use the tank from their donor car and here’s a great source for OEM fuel tanks: http://www.quantaproducts.com

If I don’t swap in a racing style fuel cell when/if I get the Pink MG back on the road, I may go here for a replacement Chevette tank.

I bought a tank from Quanta for my ’79 Chevy Caprice Sport Coupe. Good stuff. I’ve never had good luck flushing gas tanks. Besides, it’s no cheaper than buying a new tank in most cases.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.