Gas line routing?

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Gas line routing?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

I am within a whisker of putting in my engine but have a question about the gas line.  The old line ran through the fan shroud a’la VW.  My old gas line was brittle and cracked as I was taking the engine out.  Very scary!  We TDers make no pretense of trying to separate upper and lower air with our wide open spaces under the trunk/hood. 

Q:  Wouldn’t it be better/safer to run the gas line around the body inside the trunk area and then to the engine vs through the shroud?  Why not??  Then I could also plug up a couple of holes in the shroud and kill a couple of cooling air leaks also.  eh??
    Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

Mine was a new line run under the car from tank to the rear, goes up under the rear deck/fender area around the left hand side of the engine to the fuel pump, not through the shroud. No problem, easier to access.

Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

Mine to.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

My gas line follows the stock VW routing from tank to engine.

I’m not judging that it is better or safer than anyother approach. I’ll only observe that it worked successfully for millions of Beetles over decades of use.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.