Gas tank volumn?

Home Forums General Discussion Gas tank volumn?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lee Truman
    Participant

@w-lee-truman

Being new, I do not know the obvious.  I have a VW gas tank, and it came out of a 75 VW.  What is the volumn of fuel it holds.  And if anyone knows, what weight oil is recommended for a 75 VW engine, and what weight oil for the transmission.  While I am at it, where can I find the what else I should know.

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Lee

Most stock VW tanks were right at 10.5 gal.  This is trusting my memory, so someone may have a more accurate answer.

There are several good books on VWs that are well worth the purchase.  John Muir’s “How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive ” , and the Bentley publishers Volkswagen Service Manuals.  both are available on Amazon.  I’d get the Muir book first, it’s step by step on all the important VW stuff.  (Mine is just about wore out!) I don’t have a VW currently, had 4 in the past and the Muir book was indespensible.  It will tell you what you need to do and how to do it.

Ringo

Lee Truman
    Participant

@w-lee-truman

Ringo,

YOu have done your good deed for the day. Thanks.

Lee Truman
    Participant

@w-lee-truman

Ordered the books.  Thanks. 

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

These VW engines are air-cooled and have large clearances when cold. therefore VW’s used different viscosity depending on ambient tempertures. Warm weather I used 20w-50. Cold (below 35) I used 10x-40. Contrary to all wives tails, synthetic is best.

In addition, today’s oils have no ZDDP (Scuff Package). This eats up flat tappet cams. If the SAE rating is SM…it’s not good for flat tappet engines. I use Royal Purple and it’s SAE “SJ”, retaining the scuff package.

The transaxle uses 75w-80 or 75w-90, also based on the climate. I also use a synthetic…Royal Purple gear lube.

The best economical improvement to the way the car runs is to install a Pertonix Ignitor Module and one of their matching coils. It elminates the points/condenser and still looks bone stock.

Today’s fuels are also damaging to the fuel system in these VW powered cars. It’s important to use a top lube like Lucas or Sta-Bil. DON’T LEAVE IT SIT FULL OF FUEL FOR LONG. This stuff will actually disolve some of the fuel pump and carb parts!!! The Sta-Bil helps.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.