grill fitting

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits grill fitting

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    craig
    Participant

@planetired

I purchased a fiberfab mg that was never assembled. Some work to the fiberglass was started, trimming and holes drilled. Anyway, I’m at the front fender, hood, side panel install point, trying to fit the grill assy, the grill assy is 1 inch wider than the front edge of the hood. Has anybody encountered this situation before and whats the fix?
       Thanks Craig

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Wow Craig,

The obvious comment is that they should match up. I know, “duh”.

The FiberFab assembly manual assumes some trimming will be needed at the front of the hood, but nothing this drastic. But let’s start there.

You’re sure the rest of the body is aligned correctly? And the rear portion of the hood is fitting properly to the front of the cowl? I’m hopeful, but not confident, that your hood is simply too long. Trimming  from the front would result in a broader opening at the front of the hood.

If all of the above is correct, I’m at a loss.

You might have parts from different kits, even different manufacturers.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Rob Haettich
    Participant

@mrhydrant

Is there a magic number (length) that the hood should be?  If you shorted the hood that means that the side panels will have to be shorten too.  Now witch end (front, back, split the diff.) do you take the excess off?  Plus both side panels should be the same length, right?  Doing all this and making sure the hood assembly still fits in the fenders (no adjusting to these).  It sure would have been a lot easier if in the assembly instructions some numbers would have been added, then trial and error wouldn’t have to be used.:?

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Craig,

I have a old Fiberfab MG TD – I restored it a few years back and just put it all back together so never was in your position. I can however measure mine ( side panels etc. ) and take pictures and email them if that will help. Email me off line if you want to take me up on the offer.
    dlschu42 at comcat.net     Substitute @ for the at
    Dale
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Everything Rob writes is accurate, but I was not sugggesting any of that would need to be done.

Like I wrote, my “hope” was that the hood was simply too long because the manufacturer did not trim it accurately.

If that is not the case, I really can’t explain the mis-fit. 

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Craig, I measured the hoods on my BCW [Chevette based] and my London Roadster [VW based ] cars and while the BCW is 3 and 1/2 ” longer, both are the same width where they meet the grille.It seems that the diminsions vary  with the different manfacturers. I did notice on the LR ,that I have to pull slightly on the side of the hood spreading it slightly as I close it to allow it to fit over the grille. Is it possible that your hood has been stored with the sides squeezed  and if so ,could the be heated and spread out slightly  VERY   CAREFULLY ? Could the flanges on the grille be bent in to narrow the grille enough?  All the above is assuming that the side panels and the hood match in length and fit the rest of the car correctly.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

When I first assembled mine, I followed the instruction book.

As hard as I tried, I could not mahe the grill, side panels, hood

line up in any acceptable manner. Frustrated, I called the factory

(Still in business at that time) and was informed that I should not

follow the manual. I was told to start the assembly at the back end.

I thought he was crazy. What difference would it make?

I took his advise, though, and by the time I got around to the front end

again, everything lined up. Go figure.

Just a note from my experience.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

craig
    Participant

@planetired

My weekend is finally here and had chance to get back to the car this morning. I measured back from the front edge of the hood to get to the point the hood will fit the grill, approx 1.5 in., I  can shorten the side panel 3/4 inch each end. The hood fits well at the cowl as do the side panels. Before I do any cutting I plan on clamping the rear fenders and running boards in place to check front fender fit!
       Building a kit car is something I always wanted to do, Ive restored several cars in the past,all british so not much intimidates me,I’ll get through this and want thank everybody for their responses and ideas
     Thanks Craig

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.