Hello, new MiGi owner

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Hello, new MiGi owner

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Leo Rapacki
    Participant

@leob1

Greetings, last May I bought a ‘barn find’ VW based FiberFab MiGi.  It’s in not too bad shape, it runs and drives.  And I don’t have to tell you it is fun to drive!  So far I got the electrics straightened out (except for one thing), and I’m trying to get the carb set so it doesn’t stall.  And of course it needs to be compounded and polished, and the top and interior redone, and some re-chroming, and ……  it’s my hobby car.

One of the things I’d like to do is to wire the horn button to work on the steering wheel.  The horn is a separate button on the dash, and an on\off  switch on the dash(don’t know why).

Can anybody give hints or tips or advice on rewiring the  horn button on the steering wheel?

Thanks

PS, I get stared at everywhere I go, it’s great!

Stefan
    Participant

@mgaggie

I may be able to help with your VW carb. What Carb are you running?

For your horn:

Does it work aleady?

If your isolated horn already works, it may be as simple as changing the routing of your wires to go up the steering shaft. If you take off your steering wheel, you should see exactly how the wires go from the shaft up through the steering adapter and to the horn button.

I had just completed this last weekend, and thats all I had done. Just reroute the wires. If its more complicated than that for your car, there a few yt videos about VW horn wiring and troubleshooting 🙂

-S

Leo Rapacki
    Participant

@leob1

It’s a 30 PICT – 2,  The guy I bought the car from changed the accelerator pump diaphragm, and the float and needle to get it running.  I squirted card cleaner in the idle mix port and the idle cut off.  But I’ll probably do a more complete rebuild  after driving season.

There is no wire running up the steering column, and as it was extended I’m not 100% sure it can be.  I’ll do more investigation.

Toller
    Participant

@toller

Leo
    Have a read through this online forum
    http://www.vw-resource.com/index.html

Also may want to consider buying the John Muir book How to keep your Volkswagen Alive and for more detailed explanations buy the Bentley Volkswagen Official Service Manual for the year of you VW donor

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

Leo Rapacki
    Participant

@leob1

I have the Muir book, and I found a procedure to adjust my carb on Rob and Daves site.  It runs ok once it gets warmed up, but the cold start is miserable.  I tried adjusting the choke but it still doesn’t like it when it’s cold.  I’ll just keep fiddling with it.

Stefan
    Participant

@mgaggie

Have you thought about getting a hard start relay? They are really easy to install and they are like 15 bucks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.