how to remove radiator shroud/shell

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars how to remove radiator shroud/shell

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant

@sailorman6

I need to remove the chrome radiator shell on my Duchess TD replica.  I see two screws at the top and can see that the headlight mounts need to be removed.  Are there any other screws or bolts and where are they located?  I’ll appreciate any information you can offer.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I do not have a Dutchess, but my grille shell had three screws per side. There is a third one you access from under the fender. I’ve removed mine so often it now has zippers.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Yes. There’s much more to be done.

Is your car a VW or front engine? The following applies to a VW, and only if he car was built per the assembly manual.

If the car was built correctly, those two small screws are only holding a curved piece of wood that provides some stiffness to the upper part of the shroud.

You must remove the weight box, inside the front “trunk.” It is held in place by two angle brackets, screwed to the top. Pull back the carpet to see them.

Disconnect headlight brackets from the bar that runs through the grill shell. Then remove that bar. You’ll be able to access its attachment bolts after removing the weight box.

The flanges on the shroud that normally bolt to original TD sheet metal are bent in at right angles and riveted to the front of the fiberglass side panels. You will have to drill those rivets out.

And you will now have a freed grill shell.

I suggest you review the Duchess assembly manual for pictures of all of the above. Grill assembly and installation begin on page 19 of Duchess Part 2 – Body Assembly.

Here’s the link to that part of the manual:

https://tdreplica.com/wp-content/uploads/Classic-Roadsters-VW-Duchess-Part-2-Body-Assembly.pdf

Feel free to ask more questions! Happy to help.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Paul Mossberg.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Holy Crap!  Zippers are much easier.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Steve
    Participant

@sailorman6

Thanks to all but especially to Paul, who’s info got me past the “sticking point,” and just in time!  The repair guy is due at my house any minute to remove the damaged radiator shell and repair it. This will save him a lot of time and head scratching.

I think I registered this car awhile ago, but I’ll check now to be sure. It’s possible that I thought about it, but never actually did it.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Happy to help, sailorman!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.