Identification

Home Forums General Discussion Identification

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JOHN
    Participant

@lucky

Hello, I am a new member and new to the MG Replica world. This car was in short entrusted to me until I want to return it. It appears to have been hastfully assembled, but nice and drives very well. So how do I identify exactly what I have? I can tell you it is a small Chevy 4cyl. most likely from a Chevett. also has what appears to be a custom square tube chassis. looks like alot of the TD’s I have seen, but I dont know. how many different kinds are there and is there any easy way to ID them?

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Hello Lucky

Without dash plates or other ID imprinted on the car, it’s hard to tell some of them apart.  Classic Roadsters are the most identifiable due to the step located in front of the rear fender where it attaches to the running board that does not appear on other models.  I have looked at a lot of photos both here and other places on the web and I can see some differences between the models. Some differences relate to type of taillight, type of head light mounts, and whether the front fascia is split or not. I’m sure other differences are easy to spot when you own a certain manufacturer’s model.

I’d suggest you start looking at the photos here in the gallery and see if you can find similarities.  Maybe at some point someone here can publish a short list of identifiable differences. It might be a good project if someone attends a TD replica event and could take some notes or photos.

Ringo

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Ringo…are you volunteering?

You’re right…each company’s kit had their own nuances. I can spot the Classic Motor Carriages (CMC)/FiberFab cars by the split under the front grille…Brititsh Coach Works (BCW) cars had authentic MG-TD hardware (windshield frame, door hinges, handles, etc.), not sure about too many others. BCW molds were made from a real TD that was disassembled as the legend goes.

I think that CMC/Fiberfab and BCW were the only Chevette based kits…but don’t take that to the bank.

I think CMC/FiberFab had the only Ford (Pinto/Mustang II) based kit too. Key words…I think.

Paul Mossberg would know if Classic Roadsters Ltd offered front engine kits. I’m not sure about that.

I know just about every company that made these TD replicas offered a VW based kit or turn-key car.

I know of only one kit, an MG-TF variant being offered today (if it still is?). It’s from New Zealand and is Mazda Miata based. It’s a nice piece too. It comes as a “pallet” car, nearly assembled. You just need a Miata donor. It’s pricey, in 2002 it was $17,000, probably more now with the devalued dollar.

It’s a shame that more historic documentation isn’t available for the TD replica cars. I’ll bet a forum member or two know most of the information as fact, not “as I heard”, like most of my TD manufacturer knowledge is.

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Hello Mark

If… and that’s a big if…..there is ever a show or club meeting with more than one MGTD replica even close to home here, I would be glad to work on some I.D. short cuts. Chance of that is pretty slim considering the fact that mine is the only one I’ve seen in a 100 mile radius.

My Classic Roadster Duchess is a front engine Ford with a Chevette front and rear end, so if others had as many combos as they did, the Identification problem would get real hairy. Maybe some old brochures would help but I doubt it. 

Anyway, although it’s hard to get details on these old babies, I think  looking for the info is part of the fun!

Ringo

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Yes.

Classic Roadsters built VW based and front engine TDs.

Their front engines were available with Pinto or Chevette drivetrains or set up to receive same if you were building your own).

And…they could take a V6 TD, not sure who’s engine they used.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

JOHN
    Participant

@lucky

Recently I noted a stamp on the right exterior firewall. It looked as if it could have stood for FiberFab. It appears to be italicized lower case ff. Not too sure.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hello Lucky,
    Can you post a picture of the stamp you refer to?

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

There were only two Chevette based TD kits that I recall, British Coach Works (BCW) and CMC/FiberFab. Not sure if the Classic Roadster “Duchess” was manufactured in a front engine version.

The BCW car used real TD repro windshield, door handles, hardware, glass taillights, cast headlight mounts, etc. The hood was hinged down the center.

The CMC/Fiberfab car used a “marine” universal windshield frame, VW taillights, fabricated headlight “bar”, etc. The hood was hinged on one side only. Plus, I think the CMC/Fiberfab car had a fabricated aluminum gas tank (not really sure about this though).

The fiberglass quality is yards apart too. The BCW is very thick, hand laid glass. The CMC/Fiberfab is “chopper-gun” glass and usually very thin. It was also final color gel-coat and the BCW cars were usually painted.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.