I'm Gonna do a V8.

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits I'm Gonna do a V8.

Viewing 7 posts - 126 through 132 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Hey Bill,

It sounds like the fender bender was REALLY a fender bender!!

As to the wipers, I could talk about the special wiper motor I installed, or I could talk about the neat way I changed the auto park circuit to make them park on the right —

— or I could admit that I did not hook up the auto park feature and I decided to park the wipers out of my line of sight  — on the right.

I will have to play with the wiper arm length and the wiper blade length to get them to lie flat — on either side.  For some reason I seem to be “Wiper challenged” on all of the cars.  I even went so far as to watch the driver’s side wiper fall off of the Bugeye and roll under the car in the middle of traffic last year.  It seems that the heavens thought I needed to provide you all with some comic relief while we were at the car show in Va Beach …

Happy Jack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Bill, wouldn’t fuel starvation show itself at WOT instead of “mid-range part throttle?”

I think your problem is in the transition from the primary jets to the secondaries and, if I had to bet a waffle breakfast, I’d guess the primaries come in too soon/too rich and there’s your midrange stumble.

That and/or spark curve. Do you know advance at idle and total? What’s the car’s timing at cruise–like 1/4 throttle, low load? If it’s too little advance you can get a stumble when you mash the go pedal.

What’s your carb and what jets are you running?

Best move from here is to weld a bung on each collector and get a wide-band O2 sensor, so you can see your air-fuel ratio, then tune from there.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Ed, do you mean that the secondaries come in too soon?

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Well, I tackled the cooling issue. I purchased a water pump from a racing firm that is 1-1/2″ shorter than factory. This pump has no production application. I was then able to slide a 3 core radiator in place of the 2 core I had been running.

Before photo…apx. 1/8″ between water pump pulley hub and radiator…

After photo…I picked up quite a bit of clearance. I feel more comfortable with this layout.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Slick!

Hope that solves it.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Bit the bullet and sprung for Holley’s Sniper EFI conversion kit. It replaces the 4 barrel carb with throttle bodies. Had to upgrade the electric fuel pump and filters and run a vent line back to the tank and run a few wires. Damn thing would not fire. An hour and a half on hold over the course of two days with Holley Tech Line and problem rectified. Deceptive instructions concerning coil wiring. It didn’t even make one revolution before it fired. Still in learn mode but it sounds quite smooth. Next warm day will require a road test. When the fuel end is settled I’ll install the new distributor. The Sniper ECU will control timing then too. My son, David, says it’s about time to leave ‘50’s technology, but unfortunately I’ve settled on ‘80’s technology.

65 days til Carlisle.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Bill this is fantastic. Your air-fuel ratios are going to be on the money, and throttle response will improve.

Oh, and remind that wise-ass kid of yours about the induction system of the 1955 Mercedes 300 SL. Or the Corvette of 1957.

Viewing 7 posts - 126 through 132 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.