I'm Gonna do a V8.

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits I'm Gonna do a V8.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Well I’ve almost got the old drivetrain out. That job should be finished this weekend. Tomorrow I’ll order the new engine. I’m going to bite the bullet and get a drop-in with everything already matched and assembled. Advertised dyno specs at 300 hp., 336 ft.lbs torque. The rest of the drivetrain is already in place with the T5 trans and the Ford 8″ out back. I’ll need to buy a bell housing, but I’ve seen a bunch on line.

DEATH ON 4 WHEELS !!   Yee Haw !!

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Lots done Saturday. Old motor is now out and I’ll probably spend my spare time today cleaning. There is oil residue everywhere.

New motor has been ordered.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Bill, hope that this doesn’t put you in the same hillclimb class as your son.  My guess is that you are going to have to spend a lot of time learning how to drive your TDr as it is going to handle like a totally different car in the twisties.  How is it going to affect your balance F to R?  Are you changing springs or shocks?

I once drove a Sunbeam Tiger (I have owned 3 Alpines) and I didn’t like the Tiger.  While I sure wish I owned a Tiger, I much preferred the handling of the Alpine.  But, the Tiger was and felt front heavy.  (It was a long time ago and maybe it just needed new tires.??)  Then there is the story of a friend who put a V-8 in a TR6.  Same ending, he didn’t keep it very long after conversion.  This too, was a long time ago and I don’t think any attention was paid to how it would handle.  We were essentially kids wanting to biggest baddest rig to keep up with the early muscle cars from the stoplight.  For that, – it worked.

I wish you luck.  I wouldn’t want to have to change the water pump or do much shade tree fiddling on your TDr when you get done.  I expect it’ll be pretty crowded under the hood, eh?

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Lot of speculation on line about the weight differences. Everything from “about 110 pounds” to “about 10 pounds.”

http://www.svoca.com/forum/showthread.php?14860-Weight-difference-between-2-3-turbo-engine-and-5-0

I think it’s gonna be closer to 100 than 10.

Here’s an MG guy who says the crate 302 weighs 300 pounds. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?40,1890280

That’s the long block, minus intake, water pump, headers, flywheel, starter and accessories.

The Ford 2.3 is listed as low as 307 lbs here, and as high as 450, with 302s clocking in at 460, and the note that late 5.0s “are a bit lighter.”

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/engineweights.html

So all-in-all it looks like the swap might not change the weight distribution as much as we might at first think.

And as for room to work? My guess is that Bill’s gonna have dzus-fastened side panels.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

The weight bias shift should be minimal. The 2.3 was incredibly heavy. Yes, the extra power will take some getting used to. When I was considerably younger I built a 450 hp ’65 Mustang that would dance. I’m thinking this will be about the same.😁

This will place me in a different class in the Hillclimbs but not in David’s class.

This engine should just nestle in between the side panels without modification. The left side side panel already has a zipper on it because almost everything on the original engine was on that side. I will do the same for the right side.

I’ve put some more photos in a Flickr album.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/128426013@N03/vZ2nfd

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Hey Bill,

The FLIKR album looks really good — a great way for us to keep up with your “playing around with little cars”

…Can’t wait to see the Autocross when you run Ed and your son for the best time in the twisties!!

That new blue engine sure makes my old 2332 air cooled look like a go-cart motor………..

Can’t wait to see it in person  May at Carlisle?

Looking forward to hearing the whole story when we all get to Va Beach next month.  What are you bringing to the Show Field?  Rock Star Parking?  If you come in one of the Minis you will have to park next to Royal and his “real” Mini.  Start limbering up for your trial fit into the driver’s seat of my Bugeye

Cheers — Happy Jack

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

So I take a little time off and come back to find Bill is getting a bigger engine than I am.  My V6 seems underpowered now.

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

And so it begins…

Fun time.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Hurry up – you only have a week to get it ready for the drive to Va Beach

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Yeah boi! Pop that baby in and get on de road!

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Stoked !!

First trial fit this evening

It fit the hole better than I had hoped.

Right side mount lined right up.

Left side mount is off about an inch.

The lower corner of the left valve cover hits the box around the pedal mount area. There is an upper and lower box that has a one inch lip. Looks like only minor surgery to bolt it down.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Well there ya go: it was meant to be. Plug that baby in, stand up your radiator-thingie, hook up the hoses, fill the crank case with oil and and you’re done. Should I head up Sunday afternoon to witness the Ceremonial First Firing And Test Drive?

You’ll still have a week to sort it before VA Beach! 😮

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

If it were only that easy. As you’ve come to find out, it’s all the little stuff that takes all the time.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Yes and I’m gonna keep giving you shit anyway, just because I know you know. I figure by now (4 pm Saturday) you should have everything done but the mufflers and maybe the fan. 😉

Seriously, though: this doesn’t look too bad. What’s the plan for the driver’s side mount? Gonna just cut it off and re-weld, or??

Also: headers? I’m thinking routing the exhaust might be one of the trickier tricks in this deal. What’s it look like so far?

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Trimmed some fiberglass off the corner of the left side box. Had the engine in and out a dozen times today. Apparently the V8 is spaced more narrow than the 4 in its mounts. Took the frame mounts off and put an extra set of holes in them. Attached the transmission and put it back in to check the mounting holes and I do believe with a bit more work the mounting will be acceptable. The headers I bought, I thought would be the cat’s ass, might be more trouble than they’re worth. I’m starting to think that stock manifolds might be easier.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/128426013@N03/yej916

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Well, progress.

Have you tried flipping those headers left to right so the collector faces forward? That might buy you some room near the firewall if you have room under the car for the requisite pipes.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Bill,  this is just to let you know that I’m reading – with interest.  We have elected Ed as antagonist-in-chief.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Herewith some inspiration: Another MG v8-Ford project. But this one is red. 

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

That one is a far cry from just an engine swap.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I have always loved the Ford V8 – 60hp and (coming from the country) have seen quite a few used in the 1950-60’s.  But, this J2 – WOW!  What a job.  Too much for me.  (I just celebrated my 76th birthday.)

Thanks for posting.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Happy birthday Roy! See you Friday!

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Bill

How is in going on the engine install?

Any update?

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Well, all this crawling around, getting up and down and bending over this engine, I threw my back out last Friday, the 20th. I have been able to do very little since then. I’ve put some hoses on it to see where things will have to be run. Installed the dipstick tube. I’ve decided to eliminate the old battery box and use that location for the Accusump. The U-joint arrived from Borgeson and I did the initial fit on the steering shaft. Hoping maybe next week I can remove the engine for the last time and do the finishing clean up on all the cuts and grinding, get that battery box out, glass up the inside where I cut for the left valve cover and get ready for the final install. Today I placed the right side panel in place to check for clearance. It looks like it was made to be in there.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Man, I do like the look of a nice raw aluminum high rise dual-plane intake.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Really nice, Bill

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.