Location of fuel pump and horn relays

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Location of fuel pump and horn relays

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    flipmgtd
    Participant

@flipmgtd

Just finishing up installing the wiring harness in my Ford MGTD and am trying to determine the best place to locate the fuel pump and horn relays.  Electric fuel pump is mounted near the gas tank in the rear.  Thinking that on the firewall near the voltage regulator and ignition module makes most sense but that requires more holes in the firewall.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I do not run a fuel pump relay on mine. I only added a horn relay recently. Probably didn’t need it. I found the intermittent operation was a ground short in the switch in the wheel. I put that relay behind the grille above the horns.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

If I were smart and neat I would put all the relays in a pod on the firewall or maybe inside the tub, up under the dash. But accessible. 

Because I am not smart or neat I now have relays all over the dang place–inside the right front cowl (three light relays); left cowl (horns); sitting unsecured next to the battery (fan) and under the driver’s seat (fuel pump). 
    My advice, in all things, is don’t be like me.
    Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

I put my relays along the fire wall above my fuses.

No trees were injured in the making of this message, but some electrons were inconvenienced.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Nobody beats the Wiz.

flipmgtd
    Participant

@flipmgtd

Thanks for the comments.  I think I will put them under the dash in a easy place to service.  Do you use relays for the headlights?  Plans I have don’t suggest one is needed.

Derek
    Participant

@nobody

I currently have my relays just hanging behind the dash. I do use a relay for headlights and it does help with the brightness.

And where do you get those relay receiver plugs? I’d love to get a few of those and clean up some of the wiring mess behind the dash.
    Dave B.
    Participant

@dave-b

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

The Ford headlamp switch has it built in.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.