Looking For Replicar in TX

Home Forums Classifieds MGTD Cars WANTED Looking For Replicar in TX

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant

@jvestal

Hi all, I’m in Texas and I’m looking for replica in the area (or even surrounding states). If anyone has one for sale or knows of one for sale, please go ahead and post.

Thanks,

Josh

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Hi Josh,

Are you looking for a ready to drive (turn key) car or a car that is not finished.

Also, there are at least 3 variants of these kits, Ford (Pinto/Mustang II/Bobcat), GM (Chevette/Pontiac T-1000), both of these are full frame, front engine, rear wheel drive. The third is the VW (Beetle) based kits which are rear engine, rear wheel drive.

Having had all three, my opinion is the front engine cars are closer to the real thing. Although the VW kits have their advantages too, particularly in mechanical parts availability. The Ford based kits are very easy to find mehcanical parts for too. The GM kits, like my British Coach Works, are harder to find mechanical parts for, but they are out there. I found a Chevette and Chevette parts collector (NOS and used) in Washington state that has been a Godsend to me.

Also, there are big differences in kit manufacturer quality, such as the fiberglass and body dimensions. As you see, these MGTD kits are not “one size fits all”.

I am trying to sell my British Coach Works GM (Chevette) based TD Replica. It is currently partially disassembled. So, the buyer would have to complete the re-assembly. The engine/trans and interior are out of it. If I don’t sell it, I’ll complete it and keep it.

Pink MG39608.5241319444

Josh
    Participant

@jvestal

Well, to tell you the truth, I’m still debating on whether or not I want to buy one. I like what I’ve seen of them, but a mechanic friend of mine told me not to buy one, because evidentally he’s had quite a few that were nothing but trouble for him.

I’m probably wanting to go with definately a British Coach Works. I love the way BCM makes their kits. And yes, I am looking for a turn key. And I don’t have the time to put a car togather. So its basically, look at it one weekend, and if I like it, buy it the next weekend to drive it home.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

I’m sure your mechanic knows that these cars are as good as they are built, mechanically, electrically and body. After that, like any car, they are as good as they are maintained.

A lot of people buy these cars and expect to drive them like a decent used “factory” car (Honda, Chevy, Ford, etc.). Big mistake…they take a lot of TLC and tweaking. The donor cars were not designed to be TD Replicas. It helps to have at least an basic “old school” knowledge of the automobile to keep them from becoming an annoying money pit.

I wish you luck looking for a BCW TD replica. Keep in mind that even if you find one that is “turn-key”, it was probably built at least 15-25 years ago. Mine was very well built, but was severely neglected for the 6 years it was titled. That’s why it’s all apart now.

My BCW TD was partially built for 10 years before a new owner bought, finished, titled and sold it in 1998. It was driven for a year after completion (less than 2,000 miles) and then neglected for the next 5 years by that owner. So, it was 18 years old when I got it in 2004.

Keep us posted and let us know what you do.

CoffeyD
    Participant

@coffeyd

Check out Criags List – Houston. BCW MMGTD listed for sale. Its high, but looks ready to roll

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.