Loose door hinge screw

Home Forums General Discussion Loose door hinge screw

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    KentT
    Participant

@kentt

The top screw on the driver’s side top door hinge is loose and will not tighten on my older FF kit.  This is likely THE most stressed of the door hinges because of both the frequent use and the top location.

Has anyone else experienced this?  How did you resolve it?  Can you get access to the backside of this screw in the body tub?  Any suggestions?

I can’t find a pic of that area in the assembly manual, and before I try to carefully remove the carpet to explore, I thought I’d ask.  Searching here didn’t turn up anything…

KentT2013-03-25 09:12:48

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I have a Classic Roadsters Duchess, not an FF…but…

There are access holes behind the side panels on a Duchess.

I have to assume there is an access hole behind your side panels or carpet.

There’d be  no other way to tighten the bolts down.

PMOSSBERG2013-03-25 11:16:02

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Kent: Fastener  can be reached with a long extension from the wheelwell. Also under the carpet there may be a acess hole to reach the fastener.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Thanks, guys.  I’ll try George’s suggestion on accessing it through the wheelwell when it warms up a bit.  I’m trying to avoid ripping out the carpet to look for access from the inside, if possible.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

George,

Just curious, ’cause I like to learn as much as I can about each of the TD replica variants.

There is a fairly large body panel between the rear fender openings and the rear door jamb. Is that space completely open on a Fiberfab?

There is no way to reach into that body cavity on a Duchess.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Kent,

Wheelwell on mine as well unless of course you are loose on the door side.
    Most likely they will be rusted up inside there and hard to tighten up ( may just break ). I ended up replacing all the fasteners in my car w/ SS for my son in the future or whoever owns many years to come. 
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Yes, the Fiberfab kit has a gap in the wheelwell between the outside body and the inner tub. The assembly manual has you cut access holes for the hinge bolts into the tub, but that is not necessary.
    If it has a tendency to loosen up, then put some loctite on the threads when you reassemble and/or opt out for a locking nut.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

I bought barrel nuts and glassed them in place on the hinge screws, the latch strike plate and on the nuts that hold the hood side panels in place. Also using all stainless for the screws. These are the places that will be hard to reach once everything is together. Should never go bad.

Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

When I put my MiGi together, I didn’t use nuts but rather a small piece of steel channel which I tapped to fit the hinge screws, there are 2 screws per hinge.  Once the screws are started, it is not necessary to access channel to tighten screws.  Set channel in some silicone to hold in place but also allow future removal if required.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

The VWs used a threaded plate inside the door jamb, similar to what you described Al. Sadly, unless I can access the backside from inside the tub, I’m not sure I can come up with a “permanent” fix.  It’s been too cold to work in my carport today, with snow flurries all day long — I don’t have a garage, much less a heated one… Cry

KentT2013-03-25 18:59:16

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

When using stainless fittings  be sure to use anti-sieze (available at any auto store) on the bolt and nut or it will weld itself together down the road and you will never get it loose.   Ask me how I know……:?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.