Meguiars ultimate compound

Home Forums General Discussion Meguiars ultimate compound

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Roland Smullen
    Participant

@rollie

The car was looking really bad, wash and wax build up , fading , white

chalking , etc., AND I had just washed it. Went to auto store and found some

Mequiars “Ultimate compound”, and gave it a try. Wow, VERY impressive !

Without a lot of rubbing, it cleaned the finish beautifully . Added a coat of

their “tech wax 2.0”, and the car looks so good I am not sure I want to drive

it and get it dirty. I looked through my photos, and since I have had it, it has

never looked so good. For a total of about $25 , I have a new car.

I had a fiberglass boat for 22 years, and NO marine product worked like

this. You might give this a try before you repaint.

Rollie

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Rollie, Thanks for letting us know about a good product that produces good results.I had used their cleaner but will try the Ultimate Compound also.I remember that Paul recommends their products as well. I looked in your photo gallery and if it improved on the shine you had already, it must be really good.

On my London Roadster,the yellow gelcoat appears glossy if you look down the sides or accross the hood but looking at it directly,like a side view, the finish appears somewhat flat. I have never been able to find out if this is a gelcoat characteristic or if I just need to rub it more . Does your car’s finish appear to have the same gloss regardless of the angle you look at it?

Roland Smullen
    Participant

@rollie

After 30 years, the finish varies a lot on my car. More protected areas like

the side panels with the louvers , are brilliant, but the front tips of the

fenders, back bumper area, etc. are shinny but not as deep. My finish was so

faded and dull, I was thinking of repainting. But hated the thought. There

appears to be a chemical action also, as areas I couldn’t rub well, came out

nice too. The wax is excellent also, $16 a little pricey, but it just glides on ,

and polishes off, leaving the surface smooth and slick. I’ll take a look at the

different angles tomorrow , and see if I notice any difference. Mine isn’t a

show car, lots of small imperfections, but at a distance…..ahhhh. laugh.

Rollie

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

sounds good wish I did that I  wet sanded her  and polished by hand ,,lots of work I don’t think gelcoat shins like good paint ,,but is a lot more cost effective..  Dan

Roland Smullen
    Participant

@rollie

Larry, I looked at it this morning, cloudy day , and I didn’t notice the effect

you mentioned. May be the difference in the color, light vs. dark

/Users/momdad/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Nov 16,

2010/SN850776.JPG

Roland Smullen
    Participant

@rollie

Tried to post picture….didn’t work. sorry

Paul Allain
    Participant

@pga64

Rollie,

I’m going to give Mequiars “Ultimate compound” a try. Did you use the 

“tech wax 2.0” “liquid” or “paste” afterward?

Roland Smullen
    Participant

@rollie

Roland Smullen
    Participant

@rollie

There ! How is that for a 30 year old fiberglass shine ? As you can see , the

fender tips are a little dull, glazed, not quite as shinny, as other parts. The

finish was nice without the wax, but I wanted to save/protect what I had and

used the paste wax over it. I am thrilled !

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

She looks great Rollie!

Just a slight bit of patina, appropriate for a reproduction of a 58 year old car!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Allain
    Participant

@pga64

Looks awesome Rollie. Definately going to try it.

pga64

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Rollie, Thanks for the info. That’s a good looking TD replica.You’ve got it dressed to go out on the town.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.