MG TD in movies

Home Forums General Discussion MG TD in movies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Not exactly completely relevant to the kit/replica cars but I thought it interesting when watching an old movie (right now) called Dead On Course  or AKA Wings Of Danger, an English movie from 1952, and saw what looked to be an MG TD at the very beginning.

So I searched online for it couldn’t find any mention of that one. However, another movie of the same era came up. And get this, the movie name is very similar. Heights of Danger, about an Alpine race by a garage mechanic with a MG TD (also a hillclimb before that).
    Maybe some of you already knew of this, although I searched the forum for any talk about either movie and results were 0.
    Well, back to the movie… another car that looks a little like the MG TD is on screen now, just obviously not one this time.
    Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Found someone had posted about the movie Funny Farm a while ago. A comedy I had forgotten about, last seen it half dozen years ago. Chevy Chase driving a MG TF to his new home, meant to be a reclusive location for his book writing.

I watch a lot of Turner Classic Movies on TV and they’ve had commercials for Pillow Talk, a Rock Hudson and Doris Day movie. He has trouble getting into or out of a MG TD. In fact, I just realized that movie is on right now so I might as well look for that but don’t like the movie!
    (arg! edit, edit) So that makes 3 movies with a MG TD in them. Well, 2 and a possible 3rd since I’m not sure about Wings Of Danger (AKA Dead On Course) where they show what looks like the MG TD at the very beginning. And the TF model, making 4 old MG’s.
    Listing them in order of year, that would be:
    Dead On Course (AKA Wings Of Danger; MG glimpsed beginning of movie?) [1952]
    Heights Of Danger [1953]
    Pillow Talk [1959]
    Funny Farm (MG TF) [1988]
    Anyone know of others?

LRH2015-04-12 18:49:02

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Here’s a link with a lot of them.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles.php?make=MG&model=TD&modelMatch=1&modelInclModel=on

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Incredible. Thanks for that!

Curiously missing are the Heights Of Danger and Wings Of Danger/Dead On Course movies, even after I searched for models TA thru TF. I know the first movie definitely has a TD in it.
    Confused me a moment when contemporary cars were shown for TF before I remembered about newer models with the same TF naming.
    I’m amazed at all the movies I know so well from those searches and didn’t realize they had these cars in them. Many of the Sci-Fi genre, like On The Beach where Fred Astaire races a car and a TD is among the entries. Although been several years since I’ve seen that movie, likewise the others.
    Pillow Talk I watched earlier has a TF, not TD, to correct myself. Sorry for the mistake.
    Another Doris Day movie, Do Not Disturb has a TC in the background at some point. Found that using search on imcdb.
    Don’t know how I didn’t see that movie car site when I was searching for movie MG TD before. Much appreciated for giving that link! Just remember that it apparently isn’t complete next time your watching movies and TV shows.
    Speaking of TV shows… My Mother The Car was a childhood favorite, I think only because it had an old car in it! They show a TC was in an episode, not that I will ever remember that or see it again!
    secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

I remember Abbey driving an MG in that 70s sit com Eight is Enough. I think there was one in The Way We Were and more recently in Mona Lisa Smile with Julia Roberts.

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Yep, those are listed at imcdb.org.

I’ve been surprised people knew what my car is supposed to be. I had never heard of them before, only knowing about the later MG sportsters. So really a surprise to me they were in so many movies and TV that I probably noticed and never thought they were an MG.

LRH2015-04-13 14:51:54

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

To a lot of people, anything with an upright radiator and fenders that swoop into running boards is a Model A Ford is an “antique car.”
    edsnova2015-04-13 19:12:40

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Just watched on Velocity (Discovery) a TC sell for almost half million in a Barrett-Jackson auction at Scottsdale AZ from back in January.

Carroll Shelby’s 1st race car. Of course, news to me. Only knew of Shelby not all his cars.

🙂
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.