mg toys

Home Forums General Discussion mg toys

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I was at a flea market in Central NY this week and came across a mgtd toy car .It was 15 inches long , die cast and in nice condition.I have been looking at them for a long time.After telling the vender i would be his only chance of selling it.I managed to get it for 110 dollars.I still wasn’t sure it was a good deal.When i got home i typed the name of the car into the computer.(DOEPKE).The car sells on ebay for between 4 and 6 hundred bucks . What a good surprise. Now i don’t know what to do. I might be convinced into selling it if i could get a good price.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Good buy, Greg.

I picked up a little TD bank a couple years ago ($15, say) and saw a lot of the Doepke models for sale for a lot more–and often looking much the worse for wear. There does seem to be a market for them.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Plastic models like Revell and Monogram are hard to find as well. Here’s a nice Dopke  I found on eBay. And what is surprising is they actually have piece parts, decals, and such for sale for Dopke MGTD toy cars. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-DOEPKE-LARGE-MG-SPORTS-CAR-NICE-CONDITION-/140827118506?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item20c9f34baa

newkitman2012-08-17 09:01:37

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Great score Greg!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

I picked up a Dopke last year, in the process of painting it like my car.  If you need any parts they are avaliable from Thomas Toys or some times you find parts on ebay.  

Mine had a broken windshield so I talked he dealer WAAAY down, got the TD and a black sambo fishing lure in the box(I collect old tackle too) for $75.  I was going to order the windshield for about 20 but ended up repairing the old one with JB weld.  That was my first experience with that stuff, great results.  I’m trying to fine some very small red pin striping for the model now, even decal would work if anyone has clues.  I search the web but didn’t find much.
    Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Montie,
    Go to a model airplane hobby store ( RC type ) they have the pin stripping in different width’s and colors or go on line and type in model airplane covering ( Tower hobbies carries it )

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Ah geez. Now we’re giving advice for replicas of our replicas! 😆

Deeper and deeper into the MG madness.

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Don’t you just love it.

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

I also have several other TD toys in verious sizes all the way down to a micro machine.   So I guess eventually it will be a replica of a replica, of a replica, of a replica, of a replica, etc.   I think I’m going mad, my wife already knows it. 

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Someone asked about a model TD at one point. Here’s a 1:16 scale unbuilt plastic model TD for sale on eBay if anyone is interested. I have one like this in a case I finished over the winter and paid moe for it.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

That is an MGTC, the earlier model to the TD. I have that model, but never bothered to put it together. Maybe I should eBay that one, too.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Funny, I have a 1/24 scale TC that I never assembled. Maybe when I retire?

By the way, the Dopke in the ebay ad above sold for $155!

Paul Mossberg

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.