N C registration

Home Forums General Discussion N C registration

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    thomas swartzwelder
    Participant

@tomscs

Here is the process that I had to follow to register my car in NC.

My MG was titled as a 1970 VW in Ohio. When I contacted DMV in NC I was told that an inspector would come and look over the car. At his first visit he remarked, “that’s not a VW”. He took several pictures of the car then told me I would need a new VIN. He gave me a number and told me I would have to register the car as an mgtd replicar.

The next step was to obtain 2 official (on letterhead) estimates of the value of the car. This is necessary in order to then obtain a bond stating the value of the car and the new registration number.

The DMV inspector then made a second visit at which time he attached a new VIN to the door frame.

Next, it’s off to the local DMV office with all the paperwork, forms,etc. They of course do not do this kind of thing very often so it takes about 45 minutes and several phone calls to finally get a license plate. The title is supposed to be sent at a later date.

Of special note is that the title is supposed to read 1952 MGTD replica. When the official at the DMV office attempted to enter the data into the computer, she remarked that there was not room in the format to include the word replica, therefore the title may say 1952 MGTD. She did caution me that I would need to disclose this information to a potential buyer If I opt to sell the car.

I have not received the title as yet, but will keep you informed when it finally arrives. I was told it could [possibly take 6 months for the state office to get to it. In the meantime I do qualify for antique car plates which means no annual inspections.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Hi tomscs, Glad you made it over the title/registration hurdle. The first question the inspector asked me was ”What kind of car is this?” It helped that my car had been titled as a 1998 recon in NJ and had a vin assigned to it.I asked him if it could be titled as a 1952 MG Replica and he said he thought it could but it would have to be approved by the Raleigh office.He called back four days later to tell me it was ok and to take my NJ title to the local tag office and buy the tags which I did however the reg card said 1998. When the title came about three weeks later it said 1952 MG REPLICA so I went back to the tag office and they called Raleigh and then gave me a corrected reg card.Then about two weeks later I got a letter from Raleigh telling me to have the car inspected. After a series of phone calls Raleigh told me that they were going to mark my file completed .Looks like every case is different ,Hawk521 in Rural Hall’s inspector insisted that his car be titled as a 2009 Custom.

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Well I guess every state is different, Ten. from what I read now has a title , titling a ” kit “car as what it resembles with historical tags,if it is over 25 years old but with driving restrictions.?? I am going to check it out . mine now keeps it’s calf. type title of custom built.1986 no Ten. state changes or inspection. just tags to drive.

thomas swartzwelder
    Participant

@tomscs

Title finally arrived from NC DMV. Title reads 1952 MGTD replica. So now I am fully street legal. On another note, where my gel coat was badly oxidized I sanded it with 2500 grit wet paper and buffed it out with Mcguiars polish. So far white spots have not returned.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

tomscs, Glad your title finally came thru and reads as 52 MGTD replica. Hawk 521 must feel a little mistreated that the DMV would not do the same for him.I think which inspector you get has a lot to do with the outcome. My inspector could not have been any more understanding and courteous. I’m also glad to hear about the gelcoat results as well . I am planning to try that on my yellow car , just have not got to it yet.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.