New Gas Tank Install Problem

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits New Gas Tank Install Problem

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

x2 on the vent hose. 

Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

This is how I ran my vent line. It is attached to high point of firewall so any liguid will drain back into tank.

Al 

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

My tank will have a marine flip top outlet connected to the neck in the tank, with the two connected by a rubber marine grade filler neck hose. This is done on boats all the time. You may consider this instead of trying to weld a filler neck to make it shorter or longer….. See my build stream for Alfred under My Projects.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Al Greig wrote:
    This is how I ran my vent line. It is attached to high point of firewall so any liguid will drain back into tank.

Al 

Good technique, and great illustration, Al.  The PO for mine actually installed the factory carbon canister (used to trap fumes) down underneath the gas tank, on the passenger’s side.  Over the years, it has become a grimy, somewhat greasy mess.  Yours is much simpler and cleaner, yet adequate, solution…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

sreynolds
    Participant

@sreynolds

Re the vent hose….I have the hose, just haven’t installed it yet. The PO has carpeting in the front area and I’m looking at how best to route the vent hose without having to tear out the carpet. I was so glad to get the new tank installed and checked out that I didn’t jump on the vent hose right away. You all know how these projects go, it is never “pull out the old and install the new” I had several other items that came up in the process that I wanted to correct as well. As soon as I get back from our trip, I’ll get it installed. I like the routing suggestions. Thanks.

Sam
    sreynolds
    Participant

@sreynolds

Ok..I have a question regarding the fuel level sender. When you look at the earlier pic of my new tank install the fuel level sender is installed such that the float arm is on the left side (the side where the filler neck is). I put about 4.5 gal of fuel in the tank and the gage showed a little less that 1/2 fill so I thought it was ok. I’ve driven the car some and the gage now reads empty, but when I light a match to look into the gas tank (just kidding)..when I look in the filler neck using a flash light, there is gas in the lower center section of the tank and the float appears to be on top of the gas. So I’m wondering now if I have the sender mounted in the correct position. Can somebody confirm? If not, what is the correct mounting position? If it is the correct position, then what might be wrong? Thanks.

Sam

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Sam,
    Not exactly certain but it may be a tab issue. The float arm meets a tab and I THINK you bend the tab up or down to show empty/full. I’ll check my Ghia note. It had the same type of issue.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The fuel sender only fits one way, those five screw fittings are not equally spaced.

I don’t have a VW tank in my Duchess…but your set up sounds correct. I suspect the “bowl” at the bottom of the tank provides a reserve beyond the gauge reading empty.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.