New product

Home Forums General Discussion New product

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Just tried a new polish on my car with amazing results. It is called novus scratch remover and polish.It comes in three stages #3 for heavy scratch and oxidation, #2 for fine scratch and #1 for finish polish. Do a web search for it or go to mcmaster carr or MSC. My rear fenders and engine cover faded dull(I suspect from engine heat) and I tried many different compounds and polishes for fiberglass, but this stuff beats them all. I also use a tip from Old Town canoes website and use plain old pledge for detail polish. It works great, goes on quick and lasts a long time. I should have taken a before photo, but you can see the spare cover reflection on the deck lid. It runs about $6.00 per 8oz bottle, but goes a long way and can be used on many differant plastics,clear acrylics and fiberglass. It should clear up the scratched and hazed over inserts in tops and side curtains.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Looks great!

I’ve used Novus on scratched plastic.
    I never thought to try it on gel coat!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Paul I was suprised at how well the Novus works with just a little elbow grease. The motor cover and back of the fenders was where the dull faded was. I do suspect engine heat had something to do with it as the rest of the car looked good and the fading has occured in the 6 years I have had the car. You could feel the roughness of the fiberglass like it had large open pores. After the Novus it was smooth as glass. I had expected to see a large amount of color in my polishing rag like you might see with rubbing compound, but very little color came off on the rag. I dont mean to sound like I am affilated with this product, but it sure gets an A+ from me. It probably doesnt, but it was almost like it fed the gel coat.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Mike,
    Did you have major scratches anywhere? The results look really good. I ask because my TD driver’s side front fender has some pretty deep scratches. It looks as if this Novus product might do better than the McGuires product I used. Did you do the entire car, sort of like waxing it, with the lightest compound? Going to do some shopping today while here in Cincinnati and will stop by an auto supply store and see if they have any Novus scratch remover. Thanks for the tip.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Allen,

I didnt have any scratches to try it on. The back had just become faded dull with no shine that I couldnt bring back with wax, polish or compound. I had used the McGuires Ultimate compound with some good results, but the Novus beat it hands down. If I were you I would start with the #3 and rub it down, then go to the #2 work both in with circular motion like you would a compound or wax. The #1 is a spray on polish for finishing. Im not sure the #1 is any better than a detail spray like Eagle 1, but it did make it shine. I think you can also buy the Novus on Ebay, but be sure and check bottle size as there are also 2 oz bottles and mine are 8oz. The #3 and #2 are called scratch remover so I think you will see some results over the McGuiers. It also states it removes scratching and hazing on acrylics and lexan like the windwings are made of. You will get results with little effort none of that polish until you pass out stuff.

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

Can I bring over my car so you can do mine too?
    That looks probably better than new.

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Laughing mrlmd, I dont even like doing my own, but if you have faded gel coat give this stuff a try.

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

I bought mine from MCS supply, but found this on Ebay Its for the kit of three 8oz bottles. Also has a description better than what i gave. There is also a Novus website that might answer any questions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Novus-Plastic-Polish-Scratch-Remover -Kit-8-Oz-Bottles-/110660328900?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&ha sh=item19c3de9dc4

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

I have used that stuff on vinyl windows on boats (Insinglass), like our convertible tops have, but never used it on solid/rigid fiberglass or plastic. I guess it will work on the wind wings too to remove fine scratches. There are a host or products to restore gelcoat but I am going to try that. How far does the 8 oz. bottle go, can you do the whole car with it, as big as it is?
    It probably should get a good coat of wax to protect the surface after you grind it down and smooth it out with the Novus.

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Whoa. That’s gorgeous! I’d love to see some more photos.

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Mike and all,

I asked earlier if this product will remove scratches. Well I can attest that it does. I ordered the Novus kit with 8 oz. bottles and used it on my driver’s side fender. There were a number of scratches, some deeper that others. Cleaned with No. 1, then applied No.3, buffed and went to No. 2 and buffed, then finished with No. 1. I am really impressed. Total time removing scratches….1 hour. Here’s the before and after photos. Thanks Mike for letting us know about this 
    Sorry Paul. I don’t know how to size them down.  

Before

After

newkitman40803.6764814815

Allen Caron

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Wow. That difference is amazing!

Nothing like re-purposing a product. You should write to Novus…there’s a whole new market for their products.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Allen  those are some great results. I am not surpised at what it did for the scratches even tho I was only using it to remove haze. What did amaze me was the slight amount of car color that came off in my micro fiber polishing towel. The area with the haze was very rough to the touch, but after was smooth like glass. I am happy it worked out for you and the price isnt bad for something that works that well.

Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

Does it leave a film or does it feel like a waxed or unwaxed surface? That looks really nice.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

It’s a 3-stage product. When finished you apply Stage 1 and the surface is as sooth as glass.

Allen Caron

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

what would be good to protect the finish after applying Step 1?

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Step 1 IS the final finish. Its a cleaned and shiner. Spray opn and wipe till dry and shiney.

Allen Caron

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.