New Seat Base

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project New Seat Base

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Here is a picture of my new seat base made from plywood and trimmed 2×4 material. All is covered with carpet. The base is lower than original and slopes back more. That gives me more leg room and head room. See my drawing on the seat modifications in the photo gallery of the forum.

James

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

James,

Again, very nice and very professional job. You are becoming the Bob Villa of TD Replicas!

Rich

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

James,

Nice! You’ve got to love having more leg room along with more storage.

My Duchess has a step up floor pan under the seat (less than 2 inches between seat bottom and the stepped up floor pan) so I could raise my seat, but not lower it.  Luckily, I have plenty of leg room and a good driving position. If it weren’t for the hidden hatch I’d be hurting for storage.  (Although there is about 4 inches behind the seat that I use for tools, etc

I love the removable luggage rack on the spare.   Where’d that come from?

Ringo

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

I think I got the rack from here, Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tire+step& tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=2983810795&ref= pd_sl_983q6z75ow_b

It sure is convenient and easy. It will also stow under the passenger legs without any problem, but I plan on making a rack under the hood to stow it, I have plenty of room on the exhaust side of the engine. I use the space behind the seat base for the side curtains. They roll up and fit perfectly in the protected area.

James

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

What a great idea! I never thought of getting one of those SUV “tire steps” to use as a luggage rack!

An original MG TD style attaches with four bolts through the rear cover. Regardless of how I brace them under the fiberglass, I’ve always been concerned about stress cracks in the fiberglass.

The Duchess spare tire mount bolts to the steel tubes that also serve as hinges for the VW engine cover. They are definitely strong enough to hold a small suit case…or my golf bag!

Thanks for the inspiration James!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

It is how my wife packs that drove me to something stout.  This was the strongest that I could find without stressing the car body or connecting the trailer.

This will hold your golf bag for sure!

James

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.