New Top

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits New Top

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

Finally got my new top installed yesterday. I had it custom made from the original pattern top that came with the car. Was gonna go back with vinyl then decided to go the extra step and use Stayfast Canvas and I’m glad I did. Will get the side curtins done next week. The top sits lower than I would like but that’s the way the original was so I guess I’ll just have to get used to it. 95% of the time the top will be down anyway. Here’s a couple of pics.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Looks good.

You have framed side curtains, yes?

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

Looks good, different, different bows, better visibility out to the rear sides with those windows.
    What kind of car is that?
    Why did you like the canvas better than vinyl?
    Can I ask you what you paid for that and if he still has the pattern to make more?
    I need to have a new top made for my car now that I’ve sorted out my engine problem. It’s getting a little cool which isn’t that much of a problem but I don’t want to get caught in the rain with no top.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I’ll need a new top for the MG283 and a repair for the London Roadster.  What are going rates?  Your new top looks great.

Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

mrlmd wrote:
    Looks good, different, different bows, better visibility out to the rear sides with those windows.
    What kind of car is that?
    Why did you like the canvas better than vinyl?
    Can I ask you what you paid for that and if he still has the pattern to make more?
    I need to have a new top made for my car now that I’ve sorted out my engine problem. It’s getting a little cool which isn’t that much of a problem but I don’t want to get caught in the rain with no top.

In answer to your questions:

The car is an Allison. The canvas looks so much richer than the vinyl. It’s what all the newer cars tops are made out of. Even Jeep Wrangler uses it. I paid $800 for the top. Have to get the side curtins made yet. He still has the pattern but don’t know if it would fit your car unless it’s an Allison. If you have your old one I’m sure he could make a new one from that. He cut mine all apart for the individual pieces.

I rode home with it on from his shop and what a difference in wind inside the car. Basically there isn’t much. Most of the wind with the top down comes from the rear which this blocks. Even with the rear quarter windows there is still a pretty good blind spot. I’m gonna get some windshield mount mirrors as the one on the pass side fender is all but usless. The driver side isn’t bad but the pass side is two low to see from the driver seat.

Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

edsnova wrote:
    Looks good.

You have framed side curtains, yes?

Ed, there is a flap sewn above the door that is supposed to slip over the side curtin top to prevent water from sliding off the roof and into the window. I don’t know how this will work as I have never had the side curtins in. In fact I thought about leaving them off the new top at one point because of how it looks but went ahead and left them. I have the originals that are in excellent condition but couldn’t match them for the top so I went a different color and material all together. My side curtins have a metal frame that goes all around the window and into the door. There are also several metal inserts that make the side curtin very ridgid. I’ll take a pic of them tonight and post tomorrow. It’s an unusual construction. The windows although vinyl are so straight and tight that they look like glass. You have to tap on them to tell any difference.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Great looking top!!Also a Great TD .I’m looking forward to the side curtain pictures. I got the one I’m building for the driver’s side door almost finished but got sidetracked with family projects.

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Yep, StayFast is the way to go if you have the extra bucks. Like you, I first considered vinyl, but with my wife’s encouragement ended up with the cloth. No regrets.

Nice color choice, too.

TexAg7140821.7166087963

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

Thanks for the compliments guys. I’m very pleased with the new top both in color, material and craftsmanship.

Sorry I didn’t get around to taking pics of the side curtins last night. Got busy doing other things. Will post some soon though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.