Painting Steering Wheel

Home Forums General Discussion Painting Steering Wheel

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I got this wood steering wheel on a three spoke chrome metal base and the crome is corroded through to the bare metal. I was thinking of sanding the chrome down to the bare metal and powder coating it. My TD is MG red with a white interior and I was thinking painting it either red, white or gun metal grey. Have any members seen a wheel painted like that? Perhaps a speedster group person? What do you folks think?

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

I think I would paint it the same as the car MG red , my second is the gun metal gray   good luck   Dan

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

ALLEN, I had a wheel with black spokes that matched the steering column. You can see it on the white car in my photo gallery.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Could work silver too. Only way to know is try it.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

That’s the nice thing about paint.  You can change the color rather easily.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Right now I’m photoshoping the wheels different colors. Its an interesting concept this photoshop. I just disassembled the wheel today. I’ll take photos of what I come up with and post later when I finish. And you’re correct…paint is easy to change. Gunmetal grey might look good. We’ll see.

Allen Caron

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

Allen

Your wheel had wood around the outer edge ? how were you going to reconnect it to the frame work,mine is riveted with speacial rivets.  

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

My plan is to use Cherry Rivits. If that won’t work, Fastenall is just down the street from our subdivision and I’ll see what they recommend. Possibly small screws and nuts.

Allen Caron

Royal
    Participant

@royal

It looks to me like 12 size 6 oval head Phillips bolts and nuts would work nicely.  I would use nothing but high quality stainless steel.  West Marine will take a few EXTRA dollars but would likely have a good selection.  Bolts and nuts also would allow you to change colors or touch up easiest. 

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Good idea on the oval head phillips screws. I’ll look into that. Thanks for the tip.

Allen Caron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.