Phase II

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Phase II

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    charlie
    Participant

@kschas

I drove my TOY home today with its rebuilt motor. A 35-40 mph cross wind can keep you on the ball when driving one of these things. Any way Im ready to start Phase II I need to get the bumpers, back cover and splash guard on.  Then I need to get a spair tire rack made and installed. The last part of Phase II will be to instal the really good looking TD replica.com badge that came in the mail last week. On May 12 I will retire after 37 years of teaching. I want all of this finished by then so I can drive it to school on my last day.

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Good for you Charlie – I hope you get it done in time. I made spare tire rack

a couple of years back – a nice easy Saturday job. Let me know if you need

pictures or help.

Dale

charlie
    Participant

@kschas

Dale Pictures would be great. Thanks

charlie
    Participant

@kschas

Decided to add a step to phase II. We are reindexing the torsion bars. The backend just sets way to low.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

good idea. Please post photos and a how-to guide when done. 

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Congratulations on your pending retirement  Hope you “wow” the students and teachers on your last day too

charlie
    Participant

@kschas

Ed Im using the info that you posted as my guide. I didnt understand what you were talking about when using the jack and chain. Then today when we were looking at the car it hit me like a brick and I could see how it would work. So as soon as the new bushings get here we will take a shot at it.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Be careful. And good luck.

I think I’ll be doing this next year on Bridget. Total disassembly. I’m really not that psyched for it, but we shall see.

charlie
    Participant

@kschas

The new bushings for the bars came Wed. and we got the back end all put back togather. The problem was that when we got the car back on the ground we found that we hadent raised it far enough. So today we took it back apart and readjusted the bars. When we got it back on the ground this time it looked good but we decided that we should lower the front end just a little. So we tore it apart. When we did that we decided that we should have new ball joints. They should be here tomorrow so we can get it back togather. Now I have a question. Have you ever taken leaves out of your front end? If so how many did you take out? we are thinking we should take out 2 or 4 of the small ones. But we are just guessing.

charlie
    Participant

@kschas

Ed it really turned out not being such a bad job, but there were 2 of us working on it. And the friend that is helping me is really good at doing this kind of stuff. Also the shafts just slid out by hand. I think we got lucky. When we put it togather the second time to get more lift we had to use the jack and chain. Which really worked well.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Love to see the photos of this.

I took all the small leaves out of my front beam–six upper and six lower. Still not sure if I will have to put some back. I set the front end at the height it was before the new beam, which turns out to be a couple inches lower than stock, and I can still adjust it up or down, so the spring rate is probably pretty close to what it should be. But all these cars are different–some are heavier than others up front.

You getting just ball joints or the whole arm assemblies?

If just the joints, they say the TRWs tend to be closer to correct. One or two of the Speedster guys had big trouble lately with some aftermarket ball joints “crushing” when pressed in. Sometimes they’re made a few hundredths too big, so when they get squeezed into the trailing arms they’re too tight.

Hijinx ensue.

charlie
    Participant

@kschas

Im just getting the ball joints.To tell the truth I dont know what brand they  are. I just know that the parts store here could order them today and have them for me tommrow. I sure hope they work. If not I will have to order some and that will take a week or more to get.

Im sorry but I didnt take pictures. I should have.

charlie
    Participant

@kschas

Well except for a stearing stablizer that should be here this week Phase II is finished. We ended up doing much more than planed but Im sure all of you know how that goes. Any way the car is ready for school. I can’t say a big enough THANK YOU to every one on here who gave me so much help. Ill post some new pictures as soon as I get it all polished up.

Now its time for phase III. My best guess is phase III will go on for as long as I own the car.

charlie
    Participant

@kschas

My fat fingers ment steering stabilizer.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Excellent news! Phase III is forever. I’m still on Phase I and I got the car already built!

charlie
    Participant

@kschas

Next week is the last 4 days of school and Im ready.

charlie
    Participant

@kschas

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

That looks just about right. Congrats on a job well done!

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Looks great!  I agree on the “forever” phase III,  seems like theres is always something new or different to add.   Sure glad theres no phase IV.

Dennis Brock
    Participant

@dbrock

Don’t be concerned, you Mom would just say “It’s just a phase that he is going through!”)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.