Pinto Carb

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Pinto Carb

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kent Carlson
    Participant

@kent-carlson

I am building a front engine MGTD (I also have a VW based MGTD).  I want to simplify the carb on my 1980 Pinto 2.3 with something that is not too expensive but without all the junk on it.  Does anyone know of a conversion that works?

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Hi Kent

Maybe a Weber? It’s like half a 4
    barrel, so you get good low speed mileage but when you open it up it
    really delivers. Cost is not cheap but the only other options are
    pretty much modified Holleys or similar carbs that are like what
    came on the Pinto. What do you mean by so much junk on it?

Ringo

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

This carb is a Holley-Weber progressive 2 barrel. It is the same basic carb that was used on many different applications.

Your 1980 is a “feedback” design and has other emissions related ports and parts hooked to it. It is also coolant heated.

Here’s how you can get one that has absolutely NO EMISSION provisions. You will have to re-route the coolant hoses because this direct bolt-on carb has an electric choke. You may also have to fabricate a linkage set up.

What you get is the Volkswagen (air cooled) progressive 2 barrel conversion kit. It’s the same carb, minus all the emissions and coolant heated part. Because the carb is jetted for the smaller engine, you will have to increase jet size for your 2.3L.

You can probably fine one of these conversion kits used. You don’t need the VW intake, but that’s the “cheap” part of these kits.

I bought one of these for my Chevette based BCW TD. It’ll get installed when I put the car back together if I don’t use the 1 barrel set up I got from Rick Drake. I should be close with the jetting, the Chevette is a 1.6L. It even has a nice rectangle “open” air cleaner and a K&N element.

You will probably get the same performance from your present carb, but the swap looks a lot better in the engine bay. 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.