Pitting tip

Home Forums General Discussion Pitting tip

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mel Zeiger
    Participant

@luvmytd

Brought Mrs. Peel home yesterday, finally she is permanetly in my garage. 

A friend who is a boat guy gave me a tip to remove pitting from the chrome(on her overriders).  Treated them with 3M marine metal polish and restorer.  Them rubbed them down with aluminum foil and finally retreated them with the 3M. 

They came out great and saved me the cost of new overriders. 

Thought I would pass the tip on.

Monday I will order the wire wheels

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Good tip! 

But be aware that the metal polish is just that, a polish, and you will still need to wax the parts to protect them and keep the pitting from coming back even quicker. 

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

I had heard of using aluminum foil but have not tried it. I’m guessing that the foil is softer than the chrome finish so it cuts the rust or pitting without being too hard on the chrome. Did you use good quality ,heavy duty foil or the cheaper store brand? Also I’M assuming that you crumple it up to form a ball much like a steel wool pad. Does the marine polish then polish out the fine scratches left by the foil?

I’ve tried just using chrome or metal polish with minimal results and lots of hard rubbing.

Mel Zeiger
    Participant

@luvmytd

Larry Murphy wrote:

I had heard of using aluminum foil but have not tried it. I’m guessing that the foil is softer than the chrome finish so it cuts the rust or pitting without being too hard on the chrome. Did you use good quality ,heavy duty foil or the cheaper store brand? Also I’M assuming that you crumple it up to form a ball much like a steel wool pad. Does the marine polish then polish out the fine scratches left by the foil?

I’ve tried just using chrome or metal polish with minimal results and lots of hard rubbing.

I used the heavy commercial grade I bought at Sam’s Club.  The Marine polish takes out most of the exisitng scratches and anything from the foil.

Gonna wax them tomorrow

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

This sounds like a great tip. Will give it a try. Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.