Rear End Sway

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Rear End Sway

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Annear
    Participant

@bigband39

Now that I finally have my Duchess on the road, I can’t help but notice what seems the be an inordinate amount of sway from the rear end. Im not sure if this has an impact, but my drivers side wheel seems to have positive camber. I’ve seen people mention adding sway bars, so this may be a something normal. I’m not completely familiar with VW Beetle rear end suspension and it’s maintenance. For those who will say it, I have a copy of “How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive” on the way. LOL Just want to make sure something isn’t going to seize up while I’m driving in the meantime.   

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Only one wheel out back has positive camber? 

That might be bad. They should both be close to straight up and down when the car is unloaded. Mine both have a pinch of negative camber as she’s on the low side. Seems fine for no (The spec for IRS cars is a little more than 1 degree negative, plus or minus 45′) but it’s something I’ll be addressing with the Soob swap.
    Your car should not sway or wallow very much; I’d start checking all those bolts on the rear trailing arms and spring plates for tightness.
    It has been said you can shim the trailing arms to achieve a camber adjustment, but this technique has raised some controversy. Discussion here centers on the three (or 4) bolts attaching the spring plates and how those holes are slotted and what happens as you move the arms in those holes. 
    Good luck.
    Jonathan Annear
    Participant

@bigband39

Although less evident in the picture, you can definitely see that the tire is tilting to the right. Pressure was a low on the rear passenger side tire, which could have contributed to some of the sloppiness. Even after properly inflating it, the car seems to sag on the right hand side. It’s times like this that I had a better grasp on geometry.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Have you checked the back shocks?  If one is bad and the other is not, it could make it feel like it is swaying…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

That is negative camber. That’s OK in small doses. Sloppy or “loose” feeling is not though. Keep after it.

Jonathan Annear
    Participant

@bigband39

It seems the rear shocks are bad. Trailing arms don’t seem to be bent. Has anyone here adjusted the splines on the spring arm in order to lift their vehicle? Any suggestions with camber adjustment? If the rear end is sagging by a couple inches on the passenger side, wouldn’t that in itself due to the geometry of the axle cause negative camber on the left? BIGBAND392013-06-27 17:23:35

Jonathan Annear
    Participant

@bigband39

For those searching the web for answers, I have found by searching that unfortunately, I would have to lift the fiberglass body off my car in order to access and adjust the torque bars. Considering that I have to do the floors in the future anyway, I may just run the car for the summer as is and make all necessary repairs during the winter months.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.