removable hood sides

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits removable hood sides

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Jim Langan
    Participant

@langan

Anyone done a 4 pc. hood like a real TD? I was looking at instructions and front fenders bolt to hood sides. I assume some panels need to atach to frame and provide a place for hood to close against. I need to look at real TD I guess?

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Haven’t done it yet.  But have been wanting too.  Waiting for the bucks.  I think it will be an expensive conversion, also don’t want the car to be disabled for a lengthy time span.  I would like to gather the parts up and do most of the work before disassembly.  Hopefully just trading the parts off and on the car.  I know it won’t be that easy, nothing is.   

Melvin Collins
    Participant

@fairwindsnc

I plan to make removable sides and hood from either crs or aluminum but not until next summer

tommietd build

Jim Langan
    Participant

@langan

What do your front fender bolt to now? I have not started my build. Just dreaming

Melvin Collins
    Participant

@fairwindsnc

I’m building a front engine TDr. I added brackets and a length of tubing at the edge of the fender.

I’ll post photos later.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I considered that when I had mine apart last year. Just run a strip of angle from the cowl to the radiator shell for the hood to hinge and latch on. The fenders, having the mounting flange, would be plenty strong without the side panel.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

Oh just tilt the front end……

No trees were injured in the making of this message, but some electrons were inconvenienced.

Melvin Collins
    Participant

@fairwindsnc

a couple photos showing fender mounting and hood support

Melvin Collins
    Participant

@fairwindsnc

another photo

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Melvin, what transmission are you using and what did you use for the hydraulic clutch?

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Melvin Collins
    Participant

@fairwindsnc

Bill,

The transmission is a Mustang 4 speed, still looking for a 5 speed but not that important now since I have so many other things to do. The clutch master and pedal assy is from Speedway also the pull slave. I think they are rebranded Wilwood, very similar. The brake masters and pedals are Wilwood. Neat setup, there is a balance bar between the masters to adjust the bias. The rear is 7/8 , the front is 3/4. I wanted to use a cable clutch with a quadrant, but the whole thing was too busy. I tried to fit a single brake master but ran  out of space. I am happy with the setup now, except of course the cost.

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

What engine is in the car and what replica manufacture did the car start out as?  Thanks.

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

Melvin Collins
    Participant

@fairwindsnc

The body is a Fiberfab from 1982, VW based but built with a Ford 2.3.

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

I’m interested in converting my BCW Chevette to an original hood.  Does anyone know if an original TD folding hood will fit the cowl and radiator?

Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Why not re-work the original side pieces? They’re already fit, yes? 

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Yes and they would still be fiberglass.  So just a matter of getting two piano hinges and cutting the hood at the lower edge?  Then fabricate attachments for lower hood latches?  So have many people done this?

Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Never heard of it. I think you have a remote latch on each side? If so, you’d be cutting the “shelf” on each side piece. You would disassemble them from the frame parts. You would fab a new latch system for the bottoms. You would probably add some small strut bars to replace the strength they gave the nose structure.

Then piano hinges and fiddling.

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Thanks.  Good ideas. I’m thinking I might be able to remove the side panels, add spacers to the attachment bolts and then slot the side panels at the lower old attachment points so they would just push back down where they were.  Then use some quick release fasteners at the front and rear edges.

Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.