Repaired, re-inspected & re-registered!

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas Repaired, re-inspected & re-registered!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

I’ve been without my Lafer for more than three weeks (gearbox problems), but got back on the road today after managing to get it re-inspected and re-registered and being favored with a break in our recent string of rainy days. Didn’t go far — maybe 10 miles round-trip — but oh it was so great to be back behind the wheel again! 🙂

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Good to hear, Bill. 70s and 80s in Baltimore this week but I’m too booked-up at work to drive Bridget. I also took the rear drums off (finally) to R&R them…so she’s right now on jack stands until at least the weekend. Sigh.

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Glad youre mobile again. We dont have to have our cars inspected here in California as long as its pre 1975. Is the inspection process difficult where you are at? How often do you need an inspection?

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Yearly safety inspections, but no emissions check. Cost is $7. Registration is also annual, but can be done by mail. Cost (for the Lafer) is $71.75.

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

SSHHH!
    If IL. hears other states require inspections, they’ll start requiring them here, too!

Amor Conquista Todo

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

I see safety inspections as a good thing myself. We put too much time and effort into our cars to end up with a collection of crumpled fiberglass and a major hospital bill — or worse (Dead) — because some other driver couldn’t be bothered to make sure his brakes or steering were working right.

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

We put too much time and effort into our cars” — This part is absolutely correct, but that observation does not support your conclusion that safety inspections would prevent the “collection of crumpled fiberglass and a major hospital bill.”  It is precisely the effort that we put into the cars that prevents the “collection of crumpled fiberglass and a major hospital bill.”  It’s certainly not the “safety inspection” by some minion who doesn’t care a fig about your safety and is just filling a square.  Put another way … a guy who discovers a problem with his MG TD Replica from the “safety inspection” is not a guy who put too much time and effort into his car.

Now, perhaps the safety inspection might get some OTHER dangerous car off the road and thereby promote our safety . . . ?
    scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

I’ve lived in states that require safety inspections as well as those that do not.
    I HAVE noticed that in the states that DO NOT require inspections you see some cars that belong on a scrap heap, not the road. Missing or burned out headlights, missing or rusted out body panels, rusted out mufflers, the list goes on and on. Many are obvious safety hazards.
     Although I do agree that often the inspectors are just “checking boxes on a form”, they DO keep the junk in the scrap yards and off the roads.

Amor Conquista Todo

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.