replacing phillip's head with slotted head screws

Home Forums General Discussion replacing phillip's head with slotted head screws

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    philip cavanaugh
    Participant

@philipcavanaugh

Several of the screws on our Classic Roadster, Duchess were beginning to rust.  Since the phillip’s head screws were probably not correct for a replica of a 1952 MG TD, I decided to replace all visible screws with slot head screws.  I purchased all screws online as I could not find any oval, slot head screws locally.  100, 8 x 3/4″ inch oval, slotted, stainless steel, wood screws and #10 finish washers, were enough to do the instrument panel and upholstery interior.  The #10 oval head, slotted, stainless steel, machine screws for all other body parts, size 1 1/4 “, these can be hack sawed off shorter if necessary.  For the taillight I bought 2, #8-32 x 1 1/4” oval, slotted head , stainless steel machine screws.  to make them all look better I buffed the heads of all screws.

I like the way they look, somehow, maybe it’s just me, but slot head screws look, — well, more “manly”

Toller
    Participant

@toller

Philip
    Have a look at this link which list all the screws and bolts used on a TD. They used Phillips, slot and Whitworth bolts to hold everything together
    https://www.mg-cars.org.uk/mgtd/mgtd_bolts.htm

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.