Reverse light switch

Home Forums General Discussion Reverse light switch

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Rene Toussaint
    Participant

@renet

Hi everyone. I just purchased a MGTD kit car. The near  I can make out is that the VW pan and engine is either a 1969 or 1970. The  replica was made in 1981.

My backup light does not work. The bulb is good. Can someone tell me where the switch is and how do I get to it?

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The VW Reverse Light Switch installs into the nose cone of the transmission at the up right hand side.

If you need a replacement: https://www.jbugs.com/product/211941521.html

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Rene Toussaint
    Participant

@renet

Thanks Paul. That should be easy to find once I get it up in the air a little

Rene Toussaint
    Participant

@renet

It was easy to find not fun getting it out. I thought I had all the tools I would need. Wrong. Got to go th Harbor Freight and get what I need.
    Paul, do you or anyone else know that when I remove this switch, will I get a mouth full of gear oil? It a very hard place to get to and I don’t think I could put it back in fast enough to stop the out-gush of gear oil

Rene Toussaint
    Participant

@renet

Oh I did find my problem. One of the electrical contacts on the switch was broken off.

Rene Toussaint
    Participant

@renet

I found a 22 MM wrench and loosened the switch. I removed it just far enough to find that gear oil will run out. Not sure if I can make the swap without making a mess. Now I need to find the fill plug.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

If you tilt the car back a little you should be OK.

Rene Toussaint
    Participant

@renet

Anyone know what I should be using for manual transmission oil? Is it just 90 weight gear oil. I may just drain it, clean the magnet on the drain plug then fill it up with good new oil.

Rene Toussaint
    Participant

@renet

If you tilt the car back a little you should be OK.

what do you mean Ed? Tha rear of the car is on ramps right now so the oil is flowing towards the front of the transmission.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

That’s why it’s coming out. I mean put taller ramps under the front—even the same height ones will work. With the car level it won’t leak oil from the reverse light port. That said, best to just go ahead and change it though, as mostly no one ever does it, and it should be done at least once per generation.

A lot of guys swear by Swepco. I just bought regular 75/90 (Valvoline?) at the Advance Auto I frequent. 3 quarts is more than enough. The hardest part is hitting the fill hole. I made a little sideways extenda-funnel for that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.