Seat fix for TBS

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project Seat fix for TBS

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

I know there was a discussion on seats somewhere, but couldn’t find it.    

We spent last couple days replacing the foam in our seats.  I picked up some 5″ very dense foam from a local upholstery shop (the owner recomended this).   I was concerned about the thickness but this guy knew his stuff.  WOW what a difference, hopefully the end of ‘TBS’ (tired butt syndrome).  We did a test drive before we torn the seats all apart, and after an hour drive no pain.  Tomorrows another test a longer drive.  

The hardest part was removing the carpet glue from the vinyl on the bottom, not sure what CMC used, but it was stuck and nothing really disolved it.  Once all cleaned up it went easy.  Foam cuts real easy with a electric carving knife, in case anyone needs that hint.   Cut the foam, insert it into the seat cover, lay the plywood base on the foam and staple it all back together, oh you may need something heavy to press down on the plywood to depress the foam a bit to get the vinyl to stretch.  About a hundred pound wife works pretty good.  She actually stood on it and I stapled.  Good balance is a plus too.      

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Montie, Trust me ,a 100 lb wife is not something heavy. You should have said ”My wife who only weighs about 100 lbs,helped me with the project”LOL Glad you made the seats better and thanks for the helpful hints.

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Larry, Yes I know, SHE corrected me too.  Said something like I was way kind and she hasn’t seen 100 lbs since about 6th grade.   I guess I guessed light.

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

100 pounds is the best guess  at least she wont be mad Dan

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

For weight and the top half always go with the safe rule:

Guees low on weight and high on the top side and you’ll be safe!  

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.