Side Curtain Front Fit

Home Forums General Discussion Side Curtain Front Fit

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Hey folks. I am wondering about the fit of the side curtains at the front windshield frame. Do the wind wings get in the way of the side curtain front windshield snaps? There are three on each side. Not time to put on the top yet but was just curious.

Thanks.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

IMO, they don’t prevent you snapping the side curtains on, but they do make it a bit more difficult. It’s a tradeoff…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I was thinking more on the line of letting rain in while driving.
    But thanks for the reply. It does help. 😉
    newkitman2015-02-19 22:46:38

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I agree with Kent .     For what its worth never used mine probably never will . There a pain in the A. If some one wants them pay postage and there yours . Or I could bring them to carlisle

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Even with the Lafer, which has actual glass side windows, if you drive in the rain you’re going to get at least a little damp. My solution is not to drive in the rain. In fact, my windows probably haven’t been up more than half a dozen times in the eight years that I’ve driven my car — and then only to help ward off what passes for a winter’s chill down here in Southeast Texas. If I had a decent heater hookup I probably wouldn’t even both with them then.

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Beingout in the elements is what makes these cars so fun!

Yeah Allen, as Tex wrote, you’re gonna get a little damp.

Classic Roadster’s side curtains have flap sewn on the inside of the curtain. When the curtain is snapped to the windshield frame side, that flap lays against the inside/rear of the frame. It won’t stop rain from entering, but directs any water down to the floor.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

I think mine are like Paul’s as well on my Fiberfab.

To answer your question Allen I think the Wind Wings did help deflect the rain a bit and I remember having my wife adjust/sew mine a bit in a couple of areas of the side curtains so they  would snap better – maybe my Wind Wings or my side mirror was in the way? Like others my top is in a bag in my front storage area to be installed only in emergency’s otherwise I risk it and just stay low and drive faster. 
    Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

You guys are spoiled by modern convertible tops. The originals leaked. Even my B. You carried a dish towel, usually matching the color of the car to drape over your knee to catch the drips. It was part of the charm of the car. 

Royal
    Participant

@royal

The Morris Garages, unwittingly, gave rise to wet T-shirt contests.
    Our replicas continue and remain faithful to the time honored tradition.
    Smile, be happy!

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

At least we don’t have to worry about wood rot nor termites…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I didn’t even know Dale (schu) had a top! I’ve never seen his car with the roof on.

Leaking roofs? Part of the experience. Matching your drip towel to your car color? Priceless! And very elegant BDriver!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Paul,

Did not have a top for years – saw one for sale here a while back and Kent just beat me to it.
    I ended up buying his old one to use as a emergency top and fitted it just prior to last years Carlisle.
    I think I have used it once. It required some clean up and a stitching repair and a few other small items but he gave me a good deal.
    Anyway – who needs a stinking top!
    I have some of those towels they sell that soak up all the water on those TV ad’s.   
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I need a candy apple red sham wow!

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Lay a Chamois across the towel. The inside flap on the side curtains also act as a defogger as they direct all the air that gets in at the post across the windshield.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.