Steering column

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Steering column

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Innocent question: what are the differences between the ’68 and earlier VW steering column and the ’69 and later models?

Bridget’s got a ’69 column with the key switch molded into the side of it, as in a modern car. I’m wondering what it would take to replace that with a dash-mounted ignition switch, as in a ’52 MG.

So. Would this require a change in steering shaft, or just the column mount stuff enclosing it?

If I gotta change the shaft am I also looking at a new & different hub adaptor for the steering wheel?

What about the turn signal switch? Are they different? Compatible?

What all else am I forgetting about?

Just trying to get an early read on the heartburn I’d be in for if I tried this swap.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Ed, In one of the manuels on the forum, it recommends using the earlier column without the built in lock .

I checked MG Magic’s parts list and they list two different steering wheel adapters . One is for 60-73 VW shaft size .826  ,,one for 74+ VW SHAFT SIZE .670 . This may or may not be accurate. I would have thought the shaft size change would have corresponded with the change to the locking column but I have been wrong before.

I do know that the turn signal switch is not molded in to the nonlocking column..

The ign switch is a universal type and is available at parts houses but the original MG used a seperate pull type starter switch.

Check out Court Wizard’s gallery, he designed his own column without the lock and used a dash mounted turn signal switch.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Not certain as the majority of my VW experience is the engine and Karmann Ghias. But the kater shaft in the Ghia has different splines and the thread diameter is smaller. Plus the years run a year earlier, usually 72-74 grouped together. But you can check http://www.thesamba.com and in the technical tabs they delineate the differences really well. They also do cover the differences in the MG kit assembly manuals but I haven’t check how detailed they go. My .02 worth for today. 

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thanks, guys. I’ll post on the Samba & see if I can get the earlier outer housing only. + maybe the turn signal. That’s what I’m hoping for.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.